What You Missed at the 2016 Democratic National Convention

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Drexel chapter.

The past few days in Philadelphia have been bustling with protesters, news vans, political pundits, and celebrities. One of the most intense presidential elections in history has reached a major milestone as the delegates have voted and the candidates have accepted their nominations. In case you missed the convention, which took place between July 25th and July 28th, here’s the highlight reel.

Monday, July 25th

Bernie asked his supporters to rally behind Hillary.

Image Source

Sanders didn’t sugar coat it – he’s upset that he didn’t get the nomination. However, he’s not being a sore loser by any stretch. He took his time on the DNC stage to ask his supporters not only to rally behind Hillary, but to rally against Trump. The choice, he said, is not even close.

Sarah Silverman busted the Bernie crowd.

Image Source

In light of the WikiLeaks scandal (can we call it Wiki-gate, yet?), the Democratic party spent Monday night divided. Audience members took every opportunity to ‘boo’ at Trump, Hillary, and basically everyone that wasn’t Sanders, until comedian Sarah Silverman told the Bernie-or-Bust gang that they were “being ridiculous.” She said that she too had been feeling the Bern, but she put some cream on it and will now be voting for Hillary in November.

Tuesday, July 26th

Trayvon Martin’s mother stood with Hillary Clinton.

Image Source

Sybrina Fulton, Trayvon Martin’s mother, said she was at the DNC that evening because the election was not about being politically correct, but saving the children. As a mother, Fulton said, Hillary is someone that will ensure the Mothers of the Movement see success.

Wednedsay, July 27th

President Obama backed Hillary’s nomination.

Image Source

“Backed,” might be an understatement. What President Obama actually said was that “there has never been a man or a woman, not me, not Bill, nobody more qualified than Hillary Clinton to serve as president of the United States of America.” After recounting the hardhsips of his own presidency, Obama spoke to the perseverance of Hillary Clinton and declared her fit to be his successor.

Mayor Bloomberg roasted Donald Trump.

Image Source

If anyone has called bullsh*t on Trump, it was former New York City mayor, Michael Bloomberg, on stage at the DNC. Bloomberg wanted there to be no confusion about his political affiliation: he is neither a Republican nor a Democrat, but an Independent. He also wanted there to be no confusion about his opinion on Donald Trump: “I’m a New Yorker, and New Yorkers know a con when we see one.”

Thursday, July 28th

The father of a deceased Muslim U.S. soldier offered his copy of the Constitution to Trump.

Image Source

Khizr Khan, the father of a deceased Muslim U.S. soldier, said that Donald Trump was asking the American population to trust him with their future. But Khan had a question of his own for Trump. Khan asked Trump if he had ever been to Arlington Cemetery and said that if he had, he would have seen the graves of brave people of all faiths, genders, and ethnicities. “Have you ever read the United States Constitution?” Khan asked. “I will gladly lend you my copy.”

*Insert mini Katy Perry concert here*

Hillary Clinton accepted her nomination.

Image Source

After an introduction by her daughter Chelsea Clinton, Hillary took the stage. She thanked the audience, her family, and President Obama, along with many of the other speakers from the convnetion. She showed solidarity to Bernie Sanders and his supporters. She shared her hopes for the future of the United States.

She gazed off into the crowds that were chanting “Hillary, Hillary, Hillary,” and finally, she formally accepted her historic nomination as the first female presidential nominee.

Renee is a transfer student, and first year Junior at Drexel University. She is majoring in Anthropology and minoring in Sociology. She started writing for Her Campus Drexel in the fall of 2015, and is now working as the President and Co-Campus correspondent for the Her Campus at Drexel University chapter. You can find her eating, studying, eating, shopping downtown, or eating more.
Her Campus Drexel contributor.