Rundown of the 2016 Presidential Candidates

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Drexel chapter.

For many of us, this is the first presidential election we’ll be able to vote in, so we should make sure we know what we’re voting for and against. Here’s a rundown of the five political candidates left in the 2016 race for President of the United States.

1. Hillary Clinton (Democrat)

Clinton has been in politics since 1979 when her husband, Bill Clinton, become the governor of Arkansas. She became a member of the Senate herself in 2000. Because of all of these years in politics, she’s racked up quite the voting record.

Image Source

– On abortion: Voted yes to giving $100 million to reduce teen pregnancy through education and access to contraceptives.

– On the budget and economy: “Committed to reducing corporate power [in general] not only Wall Street”.

– On civil rights: “Fight systemic racism in education and employment”.

– On crime: “Death penalty appropriate for Oklahoma City bombing”.

– On gun control: “Arming more people is not [an] appropriate response to terrorism”.

2. Ted Cruz (Republican)

Cruz was elected to the U.S. Senate in 2012, so he doesn’t have quite the voting history of Clinton. He has, however, found fame during this campaign season due to his responses to attacks by Trump and his development of firm stances on many issues facing our country today.

Image Source

– On abortion: Voted in opposition to public abortion funding.

– On the budget and economy: Supports a constitutional balanced budget amendment (BBA), which means that a state can’t spend more than the total amount of its income.

– On civil rights: Voted against reauthorizing the Violence Against Women Act

– On crime: Supports the death penalty.

– On gun control: Opposes restricting the Second Amendment, which protects the right to bear arms.

3. John Kasich (Republican)

Kasich was elected to the Senate in 1978 when he was 26 years old, making him the youngest senator ever. He then became a member of the House of Representatives, and later became the governor of Ohio. Now running for president, Kasich has worked his way through the political ranks.

Image Source

– On abortion: Opposes federal abortion funding.

– On the budget and economy: Supports the balanced budget amendment and line item veto, which is “the power of a president, governor, or other elected executive to reject individual provisions of a bill”.

– On civil rights: “I support traditional marriage, but it’s time to move on.”

– On crime: Voted no on replacing death penalty with life imprisonment.

– On gun control: Opposes restrictions on the right to bear arms.

4. Donald Trump (Republican)

Trump is relatively new to the political scene, but has definitely got himself noticed. Because of his novelty, he doesn’t really have a voting record – but he does have several opinions on almost all political questions.  

Image Source

– On abortion: “Planned Parenthood is important, but abortions must stop.”

– On the budget and economy: “Make economy dynamic; bring back jobs from China and Mexico.”

– On civil rights: Promoted gender equality in a male-dominated industry.

– On crime: “Capital punishment isn’t uncivilized; murderers living is.”

– On gun control: “No limits on guns; they save lives.”

5. Bernie Sanders (Democrat)

Sanders has, like John Kasich, been through the ranks of the political hierarchy as a mayor, member of the House of Representatives, member of the Senate, and by entering the presidential race for the Democratic nomination in the summer of 2015.

Image Source

– On abortion: “Lifetime pro-choice record, plus funding for family planning.”

– On the budget and economy: Voted yes on $192 billion additional anti-recession stimulus spending.

– On civil rights: “Combat institutional racism and reform justice system.”

– On crime: “Whites and blacks smoke pot equally, but blacks go to jail.”

– On gun control: “People have the right to buy guns, with sensible regulations.”

If you’re still not sure who to vote for this November (or in your state’s primaries), check out this quiz! It can show you which candidate your views are most in line with.

Renee is a transfer student, and first year Junior at Drexel University. She is majoring in Anthropology and minoring in Sociology. She started writing for Her Campus Drexel in the fall of 2015, and is now working as the President and Co-Campus correspondent for the Her Campus at Drexel University chapter. You can find her eating, studying, eating, shopping downtown, or eating more.
Her Campus Drexel contributor.