This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Drexel chapter.

When autumn comes alive it’s easy to be swept up into the cool, crisp air. Warm hues of reds and orange foliage signal the gradual end of summer and ease us into that difficult Philadelphia winter. No matter where you are, whether it be at home or near campus, autumn arrives with a pumpkin or two perched on each porch. Each week more and more pumpkins are lugged into apartment lobbies and family homes, making it rare not to encounter one of these sure signs of Fall. Yet the pumpkins that we so love and enjoy can be more efficiently utilized than just a pumpkin spice latte. 

Pumpkins are a type of gourd in the Cucurbitaceae family. This winter squash and its fellow Cucurbitaceae squash have various nutritious benefits, including vitamins and antioxidants. Just one serving size of pumpkin contains high amounts of Vitamin A, C, E and B2. These immune support vitamins help fight off infections and Vitamin C helps strengthen skin cell restoration and promote the production of white blood cells. An important carotenoid known as beta-carotene is turned into immune-strengthening Vitamin A, and is also known to aid in eyesight. Pumpkin is especially diet-friendly as it is low in calories, high in fiber and can be easily incorporated into one’s daily routine. From sweet to savory, here are some noteworthy pumpkin recipes to make this autumn season.

Gluten-free Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls

To say it lightly — I love pumpkin. I’ve been trying to find ways to sneak it into my everyday diet, even if it’s not in the healthiest of ways. I opted for a gluten-free version of these addicting pumpkin cinnamon rolls. The subtle pumpkin flavor and pumpkin spice elevate the traditional cinnamon. In order to make the dough, you will need:

1. Milk to activate the yeast

2. Butter (melted)

3. Pumpkin Puree

4. Brown Sugar

5. Pumpkin Spice mix

6. Salt

7. An Egg

8. Yeast, either dry or instant

9. Flour (I traded in traditional flour for a gluten-free mix)

The dough was a little tricky but turned out well enough. Mix the warm milk and butter together and slowly; then, add this to a mixture of pumpkin, brown sugar, spice and salt. Wait to add the egg to this mixture last. Add in the flour and, once incorporated, mix the yeast into the batter evenly and allow to rise for an hour in a greased bowl. After an hour of rising, knead the dough softly and roll out into a sheet. At this point, make the filling mixture by combining the brown sugar, butter, and spices to be spread evenly on top. I did this next part over a sheet of plastic wrap to easily roll the dough into a tight column. Once the rolls have been sliced and placed into a floured pan, allow them to rest for fifteen minutes more before baking at 350 degrees for roughly 25 minutes. 

The result: nearly perfect pumpkin cinnamon rolls. This recipe was slightly challenging but relatively easy for those who like to be in the kitchen. One batch yields two pans of rolls, so they (almost) lasted the whole week. Find the full recipe here.

Pumpkin Coffee “Syrup”

For those who love pumpkin spice lattes, but want to go for an option with less sugar than store-bought syrups, make your own pumpkin coffee “syrup”. The Starbucks recipe includes:

1. Sugar

2. Water

3. Cinnamon

4. Clove

5. Ginger

6. Nutmeg

7. Pumpkin puree

I swapped out the sugar for honey, even natural maple syrup would be a strong addition. By simply combining the ingredients and adding to your home-brewed morning coffee, you’ve got pumpkin spice at home. 

Pumpkin Mac and Cheese

If you’re looking to take your love for pumpkins to the next level, you can add it to your savory dishes as well. This versatile ingredient can be used in quesadillas, casseroles, dips, soups and more; but one of my favorites is the pumpkin mac and cheese:

1. Salt

2. Pasta

3. Butter

4. Flour

5. Whole Milk

6. Pumpkin puree

7. Garlic powder

8. Dry mustard

9. Cayenne powder

10. Nutmeg

11. White pepper

12. Fresh grated Cheddar

13. Fresh grated Parmigiano

14. Chives

A college student sees all these ingredients and immediately thinks about how long they’re going to be locked in the kitchen. Yet somehow, Rachel Ray’s recipe comes together easily. The sauce ingredients start out with a simple roux  that is built with the spices and whole milk — and don’t forget about the pumpkin! Add the cheeses and your favorite pasta for an easy and tasty pumpkin recipe that you might not expect. 

Pumpkin is not only a fall staple but a nutritional and lively ingredient. Even a savory, cheesy dish can be complemented by fresh pumpkin, but never forget all the sweet options you can explore with this versatile winter squash. Trying new recipes with a focus on nutrition may sound scary, but it doesn’t have to be. Slip into the cozy feeling of fall and try out some of these recipes; they’re sure to get you in the bright autumn spirit.

My name is Jessica Waite, I study chemistry at Drexel University and I love to be creative :)
Her Campus Drexel contributor.