How to Unwind Post-Election

There's no sugarcoating it: 2020 has been a trying year for all of us. From social unrest to a tumultuous election, we are all in serious need of a few days to ourselves with a good book and a cup of tea. Unless, of course, that's not your cup of tea. In that case, let me guide you through a few simple ways to wind-down after the election.

1. 1. Binge-watch your favorites.

woman wearing black shirt eating popcorn

If you're a film connoisseur like myself, Netflix, Hulu, and all of the new platforms cropping up left and right are the perfect answer to a day in. Check out all of the popular movies and shows, or perhaps stick to your ol' reliables to get in the feel-good mood.

2. 2. Close your eyes to a sweet melody.

hand holding iphone showing spotify

Do yourself a favor: put in your headphones and listen to the Beatles. There's an album for any mood you're feeling. The Beatles came at another tumultuous time in our world where social unrest was just as great as today. Their music connected with people then and it's still just as relatable today. Or you can jam to your childhood favorites. Spice Girls, anyone?

3. 3. Go on a small trip.

girl mountains sand summer adventure roadtrip braid backpack creek

If the stars are aligned, take some time off and head out into the world. Pack your car and go camping in a national park. Rent a cabin in the woods. Sit around a campfire with your roommates. Reconnect with nature.

4. 4. Treat your body well.

summer girl hawaii yoga hiking exercise view high res version

Being cooped-up inside staring at a computer screen Monday to Friday can be harsh on the body. Make sure to treat yours well by staying hydrated, eating well, and doing light to moderate exercise. A great way to stay healthy at home is with yoga. A simple search on YouTube can provide a ton of at-home routines.

5. 5. Write down all of your thoughts.

person writing outside in notebook

One of the best pieces of advice I've received is: "Don't tell me your story. Tell yourself." This year has been hard for a lot of reasons. Maybe you had it rougher than most. Maybe not. Whatever the case may be, write it down. Open up a blank document or notebook and tell yourself, whether that's your past or future self, what happened this year. You'll be surprised just how therapeutic it really is.

No matter what you choose to do to unwind, keep this in mind: at the end of the day, you can go to sleep knowing that tomorrow is a new day. You've made it this far in 2020, so you deserve a break.