kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How to Make the Perfect Smoothie

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Drexel chapter.

The latest trends in healthy eating and fitness routines are always changing—but there’s one that has remained pretty popular—smoothies! Smoothies are a great way to start your day, especially when you’re on the go or in a rush. Whether you’re in class or working, they can boost your energy levels instantly. When packed with the right ingredients, smoothies can reduce the urge for unhealthy cravings and fill your body with nutrients. We’re huge fans of these quick and easy creations, especially because they keep us full! But one problem many people have is using the right amount of each ingredient. No worries, we have an easy guide for you to create THE perfect smoothie!   

Below is a how-to diagram from Marianna Hewitt’s blog that will help you when creating the perfect smoothie! Created by nutritionist Kelly Leveque, this recipe is called a #beWELL smoothie, and it can serve as a safe meal replacement to combat hunger and fatigue.

According to Leveque, the ideal smoothie consists of one serving of some form of protein and one serving of fiber, an unlimited amount of greens, ¼ cup of fructose, 2 tablespoons of fat, liquid, and one type of superfood. Though this may sound challenging to put together at first, it’s actually not too difficult when broken down step by step.

Personally, I like to use vanilla protein powder as a base to start off my smoothies. Ground flax seeds or chia seeds provide good sources of fiber. You can add any type of green based on personal preference, though I tend to stick to spinach and kale. Fructose can mean any kind of fruit you would like to add (I usually add any kind of berry, mangos, or bananas). Fats can include coconut oil, avocados, or almond butter, just to name a few. Liquids range from plain water to coconut or almond milk. Lastly, a superfood—like sea salt, cocoa nibs, or ginger—is the final touch on a super yummy, extremely well balanced treat!

Want some more delicious smoothie recipes? You can find more of Kelly’s delectable recipes here!

Manali is a junior Biology major with a public health minor hoping to pursue her life goal of finding a keychain with her name on it . She's been with the Her Campus Drexel community since her sophomore year as a feature writer and hopes to one day run out of pages in her passport. You can find her planning her next adventure,exploring the city of Philadelphia, attempting to cook, or watching too much Netflix.
Her Campus Drexel contributor.