Life > Experiences

How To Maintain Adult Friendships with Different Schedules

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Drexel chapter.

Friendships as an adult can be tough. When you no longer have the routine of classes and club meetings and no longer live in a dorm setting, it can be hard to maintain relationships with people. Here are a few tips to help you stay in contact. 

1. Make an effort and check in with them 

Image Courtesy of Center on Media and Child Health

In this day and age, it might feel strange to text someone without having any real idea what to say. But texting a friend just to say hello, that you’ve been thinking of them, and hoping they’re doing well comes across as caring and sweet. Also, it makes you seem super adult-y. 

2. Make tiny plans 

Plans with friends don’t have to be huge, epic nights out. Texting or calling someone to see if they have 15 minutes to spare for a walk or just literally to grab a coffee are simple ways to stay in touch. 

3. Give them space if they need it 

Some people relax by venting to friends, some people relax by being by themselves. If you and your friends are super stressed or overwhelmed, it’s perfectly okay to reschedule plans. It shows you understand what they’re going through and that you want them to recharge and care for themselves. 

4. Be honest when you do meet up 

If your life has taken a few unexpected turns since you last met up, it’s perfectly okay to be honest about that. Hardly anybody’s plans work out the way they intended them to. Being open about that (and not lying if your sh*t isn’t together) may even put them at ease if they’ve been feeling the same way. 

5. Quality over quantity counts 

Image Courtesy of Netflix

As you get older, your priorities change and your personality evolves. Having true friends begins to count more than the number you have. Being close with people who are genuinely nice to be around means more at the end of the day. 

6. Re-evaluate how ‘busy’ you truly are 

If a friend keeps asking to meet up and you find yourself constantly saying you’re busy, it’s time to take a step back and think about things. Are you really, actually busy or can you find an hour to spare somewhere? Or, is this just a way you’re avoiding that person? 

7. Remember not every friendship lasts 

Sometimes friendships don’t go anywhere, and that’s perfectly fine! Being away from someone might help you realize they’re not the type you want as a friend. Maybe you were the best of friends in college, but as you move out and grow up, you might start to have more differences than things in common. 

Keeping friendships can be difficult, but putting effort into relationships will be worth it in the end. I hope these tips help you! 

Bebhinn Nagle is a pre-junior at Drexel University, where she is majoring in Nursing. Along with this role of writer for HerCampus Drexel, she is also the recruitment chair for the school's student nurses' association.