Girl In The Road Winter
Girl In The Road Winter
Anna Thetard / Her Campus
Wellness

How to Cope with Seasonal Affective Disorder

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Drexel chapter.

Seasonal Affective Disorder, known more commonly as SAD, is a type of depressive disorder characterized by experiencing depression in association with certain times of the year. Although it’s most common to experience SAD during the winter, some people experience it during the summer months as well. Some symptoms of SAD are feeling hopeless, fatigued, withdrawn from your friends and family, or experiencing trouble sleeping or weight gain during a specific season. Since this time of year is the most common season for people experiencing seasonal depression, I thought I would share some things that have helped me deal with my SAD. If you are feeling symptoms of SAD, you should reach out to a doctor or mental health professional, and just to be clear, none of these little tips should take the place of seeking help or treatment. These are just some little things that have helped me cheer up during these gloomy winter months, and might help you as well!

Be honest with the people in your life about how you’re feeling

I know sharing your feelings can be tough, but when it comes to your mental health, honesty is the best policy! Letting your friends and family know what you’re struggling with will help them understand your symptoms a little better, and help them understand when you just aren’t feeling up to socializing or going out. Being vulnerable with people is hard, but in the end, it will be worth it, and you’ll end up feeling less isolated. Also, if you aren’t feeling well enough to go to work or class, being honest about your SAD with your boss or professors will allow them to be more lenient with you when it comes to attendance and deadlines. 

Embrace all things “hygge”

“Hygge” is a Danish concept that loosely translates to a general aesthetic of coziness, relaxation, and well being. When it’s cold and gloomy outside, creating a cozy and inviting environment inside always makes me feel better. What hygge means for each person is different, but it often includes soft lighting, candles, textured blankets, warm beverages and comfort foods. Whatever it may be for you, working to create an environment of contentment and sanctuary within your home is a great way to beat those winter blues. 

Exercise everyday 

Exercising daily is a great way to boost your mood and feel more energetic throughout the day when you are struggling with SAD. Studies show that daily exercise can boost endorphins and serotonin, as well as help your sleep cycle, which is often affected by seasonal depression. The most effective exercises for SAD are rhythmic and continuous movements, such as walking, running, or swimming!

Invest in a SAD therapy light

Light therapy boxes can mimic the effects of natural sunlight on your brain and have been shown to cause a chemical change in your brain that can help relieve your SAD symptoms. They are recommended for use for about a half-hour after you first wake up. Although these lights have been shown to be safe and effective, it’s important to talk to your doctor to see if it’s the right choice for you!

Click here to buy this therapy light from Amazon!

Schedule time for self care everyday!

When you’re struggling with SAD or any mental health issue, life can often seem stressful and overwhelming. It’s important to set aside time every day for something that makes you feel happy, safe, and relaxed, whether that’s taking a bubble bath, doing a face mask with friends, or even snuggling up for some nice alone time with your laptop. Whatever makes you feel recharged and happy, take time to indulge in it as much as possible!

Again, if you are struggling with SAD or and type of depression, please reach out to a professional! You are not alone, and someone will always be there to help. 

Hi! My name's Sarah and I'm a sophomore at Drexel studying Sociology and Global Studies with a concentration in Global Justice and Human Rights. I love reading and writing and am excited to share my writing on HerCampus and become part of such a wonderful community of inspiring women. When I'm not writing I love to bake, hang out with friends and family, and spend time in nature.
Her Campus Drexel contributor.