This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Drexel chapter.

Preparing and applying for graduate school can be a daunting task. As my law school application process finally draws to a close, there are a few things that I found super helpful throughout this process. I feel these tips are important for any graduate school applicant to keep in mind:

Start test prep and take entrance exams EARLY

This is where it all begins. Taking my LSAT was the first step in the process. Many students wait or hold off taking entrance exams and find themselves caught in a mess of studying, writing essays, and building applications – on top of regular classes, all at once. Some of the best advice I received was to take my tests early and get them out of the way.  

The recommended study time for the LSAT is 10-15 hours a week, making studying for the LSAT a part-time job. If you know you do not have time to work several part-time jobs at once, studying and taking your tests well before starting the rest of your applications will have you thanking yourself later. Also, by focusing all your available time (not including self-care/relaxation hours which are just as important!) on preparing for these tests, you will give yourself a better chance to do well and achieve your target scores the first or second time.  

Write your personal statement/essays EARLY

If there is one thing I would have done differently throughout this process – it would have been to start writing my personal statement earlier. Despite starting over a month before applications opened, I still was drafting and revising my personal statement and supplemental essays well into the third month since I started them. I was told several times by my advisors and mentors that my personal statement would take several drafts to perfect. I understood this as maybe two or three versions, max. The real answer was five or six drafts. The earlier you start, the more prepared you will be, come application time.

Find/Request Letters of Recommenders EARLY (starting to see a trend here?) 

We love our professors and employers and mentors – we do. But I think we all know that even some of our favorite teachers/advisors/employers may not be the most timely workers, especially when it comes to things that may not be their top priorities in the context of their day-to-day responsibilities. This being said, you want to make sure you select and ask your recommenders for letters, months before you actually need them. Not only will your recommender be appreciative for the ample time and generous advanced notice, but this will also keep you from having to nag and bug professors and employers for letters at the last minute – possibly delaying your application submissions.  

Make application “to-do” lists 

Most graduate schools have very similar applications. For law schools, the body of each school’s application tends to be the same. When applying to law school, applications are housed, completed, and submitted all through one system, (think common app for undergrad) LSAC.org. This site aggregates all student account information, transcripts, applications, and letters of recommendation and builds a student report that is sent to each law school upon submitting. This being said, the structure of these applications are all the same. For law schools, a typical application has:  

– A body – several general questions on contact, demographic, employment, education etc.  

– A personal statement – an essay all about you!  

– Résumé  

– Supplemental essays 

As you start going through applications and filling them all out, it’s easy to lose track of what parts you completed for what application. Thus to save time, I found it helpful to have a separate document, listing each school I applied to with specific tasks to complete for that school! Saves time, keeps you organized, and makes your workflow more efficient.  

Don’t be afraid to ask for help 

Applying to grad school is no easy task. It’s stressful and nerve-racking and at times will likely make you question why you are doing this to yourself in the first place. In these moments, I suggest turning to the people you have around you for support. Advisors, parents, professors, friends, or other working industry professionals. Anyone who has either been through this process before or has any experience guiding students through it are invaluable resources for you to have. No one expects you to do this all alone – reach out and stay in touch. You got this! 

Gina Moffa

Drexel '20

Hi! My name is Gina and I am a Business Administration major at Drexel University! My minors in Dance and Photography help me to put a creative and artistic twist on everything I do.
Her Campus Drexel contributor.