6 More Things You Should NOT Wear on Co-Op

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Drexel chapter.

Whenever co-op season starts, my phone blows up with an enormous amount of selfies – whether they’re of myself or my friends – in an attempt to get advice on what to wear for interviews or for the job itself. I am sure I am not the only one who trades outfit pictures with her friends to see if what we are wearing is appropriate for the workplace. While most of the time we do a good job of looking professionals in blazers and ballet flats, there are always some things that get a huge “no”. We’ve already given you a list of five things you should never wear on co-op, but here are six more.

1. Tattoos

There is a lot of controversy around tattoos, especially in 2016 where acceptance is becoming a huge deal. Tattoos are a way to express yourself and to have something meaningful with you all the time. But when it comes to the workplace, you should try to hide them or just show those tattoos that are smaller and more delicate. The perception of tattoos varies from office to office, but if you’re worried the best bet is to cover them up.

2. Fishnets

Stockings and tights are important when you wear a dress, especially during the wintertime. But please, whatever you do, do not wear fishnets. Just don’t.

3. Unkempt clothes

If your clothes are wrinkly, have holes or bleach stains, or are damaged otherwise you should not wear them. This is a rule you should always apply even in your daily life, but you must be extra careful when it comes to the workplace. Unkempt clothing will give a bad impression to your employer and co-workers, and will make you look like a schlep. If you are not able to iron your clothes or get rid of stains, how is your employer going to trust you with a database?

4. Caked on makeup

Of course, this doesn’t apply to every job. If you work at a beauty salon or makeup store you should have fun with your look. But for less creative co-op jobs you should avoid the caked on makeup. A face full of foundation, dark lipstick, and smoky eyeshadow doesn’t look the most professional.

5. Wet Hair

First off, leaving the house with wet hair can make you seriously sick. But going to work with wet locks is a major no-no. Do not arrive at the office with messy or wet hair.

6. Sheer Clothing

Avoid sheer clothing and see-through shirts. It doesn’t matter how pretty the blouse, dress, or shirt is, you should not wear anything see through in a professional environment. If you are dead set on this style, be sure to wear a tank top underneath.

For many of us, our co-op is the first real professional experience we’ve had thus far so dressing to impress is kind of a big deal. No one expects you to know right off the bat how to rock the perfect office outfits, but knowing what not to wear is a good place to start. Be sure to look on Pinterest for some outfit inspiration and come to our 2016 Co-Op Couture Fashion Show!

Orly is a Venezuelan senior at Drexel University majoring in Public Relations and double minoring in marketing and writing. In her free time, you can find her in a coffee shop writing, color-coding her way through life or binge watching One Tree Hill for the fifth time. She manages HCD's Facebook page as well as their Twitter and hopes to make a career out of social media someday.
Her Campus Drexel contributor.