This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Drexel chapter.

Although it has been almost a year since the pandemic first started changing what was the norm of everyday life, it is still a struggle to adapt to. One can often find it a challenge to maintain a healthy and stable state of mind during such times and while there are a few basic approaches to this, they can get old or less exciting in a matter of a short time. However, there are always new ideas and ways to take care of yourself. Here are a few exciting tips and tricks when it comes to self-care in the middle of a pandemic! 

Build up a solid, feel-good skincare routine 

Masne, sweaty faces and itchy masks are outcomes associated with the pandemic that not many talk about, yet have a rather powerful impact on how healthy we feel. This is why a good skin-care routine is always the way to go! Buy new, natural products, do not reuse your mask a lot, wash your face after going out and do a face mask whenever you feel like it! This will not only help you have healthy skin but can also help you feel your best. 

Get some fresh air and sunlight

Wearing a mask is an essential part of protecting yourself against the COVID-19 pandemic, but it can restrict your access to some fresh air. This is why you must make sure to get your daily intake of fresh air and natural sunlight when you are at home. Open a window or a door and make sure to work in front of natural light when it is possible! If it is possible to do so in a safe manner, you could work on your porch or in your garden as well! 

Learn a new skill 

When one is stuck inside their house or so far away from loved ones, sticking to a routine could get very old, very quickly. This is why finding something to change up your routine is always helpful. Taking some time to learn a new skill or language can do wonders for your mental health. You could learn to play the piano, speak French, learn a coding language, or anything you have always wanted to do. 

Digital Detox + News Detox

With all that’s happening in the world being constantly broadcasted through social media and news websites, it is easy to feel discouraged. A digital detox and some space from news and bad news can be almost healing when it comes to your mental health. Turn off notifications, or hide your phone away and take some time to journal, take a long shower and read. 

Get a pet or a plant 

Spending all your time at home or constantly 6 feet away from others can make you feel lonely. Buying a plant or adopting/fostering a pet can allow you to feel emotionally connected and attached to another living being. It is also an opportunity to use up your time without feeling like the days are dragging on. Beautiful plants and cute animals also make up for some adorable photos! 

Amongst all this, the most important self-care tip is to always make sure you prioritize your health, your loved ones, and your success. Although life feels far from normal, it still goes on and it is always important to take care of the things that matter to you, especially yourself and your health. 

Hi! My name is Nera and I am currently a Marketing major at Drexel. I love writing short stories and poems, rescuing animals and volunteering! If you have any questions, requests or inquiries, please email me at snf57@drexel.edu
Her Campus Drexel contributor.