This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Drexel chapter.

2019 may be the year when great Disney movies like Dumbo, The Lion King and Toy Story 4 are coming out, but for us Philadelphians-Broadway-junkies, it is also the year when a ton of EXTREMELY GREAT plays are coming to the city, and we cannot be more excited!

Beautiful: The Carol King Musical

Image courtesy of The Philadelphia Theater

The musical that traces the career of Carole King, and endorsed by the beloved Grammy winner herself, will premiere the Broadway scene in Philly this 2019 from January 8th to the 20th in the Academy of Music of the Kimmel Center For The Performing Arts at 1420 Locust St. This musical has been a hit since its release in 2014, scoring 2 Tony Awards that year. Described by The New York Times as “A complex, revitalizing portrait of the real, conflicted person within the reluctant star,” we learn about King’s inspiring, but rocky road to the icon she is today.

Rodgers and Hammerstein’s Cinderella – The Musical

The classic fairy tale will be playing in Philadelphia for two nights from February 22nd to the 24th in the Academy of Music before it turns to midnight and loses the magic. Get ready to be swept away by the twinkling timelessness of Cinderella, the definitive rags to the wonderful story that has charmed and inspired audiences all over the world since the first broadcast with the legendary Julie Andrews on CBS in 1957.

Rain – A Tribute To The Beatles

Image Courtesy of The Philadelphia Theater

For one night only you will get the chance to see this rendition of the most famous band in history on February 26th in the American Music Theatre at 2425 Lincoln HWY. E., Lancaster, PA. From the early hits to later classics that The Beatles never got the chance to play live – including the most complex and challenging songs – this adoring tribute will take you back to a time when all you needed was love, peace and a little help from your friends!

RentImage Courtesy of The Philadelphia Theater

It’s hard to believe that this iconic Broadway show is turning 20 years old! And thanks to this extremely important anniversary, it’s doing a National Tour and coming to Philly from March 5th to 10th at the Merriam Theater of the Kimmel Center For The Performing Arts at 250 South Broad St. The winner of four Tony Awards and the Pulitzer Prize for Drama, Jonathan Larson’s show is a fearless portrait of an HIV-stricken group of New Yorkers, set to a propulsive rock ‘n’ roll score.

Miss Saigon

A real juggernaut of a show, Miss Saigon soars once again on a new national tour this year, following its revival on Broadway in 2017. Adapted from Puccini’s operatic tragedy Madame Butterfly, it’s a stunning love story, a gritty war drama and an all-out cabaret piece wrapped up in one. It is coming to Philly from March 19th to 31st in the Academy of Music.

Anastasia

Take an incredible journey to the past as the critically acclaimed, Tony-winning Broadway production Anastasia comes heads on for a strictly limited engagement as part of the 2018/19 theater season. Born from the pens of Obie and Tony-winning playwright Terrence McNally and Tony-winning writing team Stephen Flaherty and Lynn Ahrens, who ruled the Great White Way with their smash hit Ragtime, the musical draws on the score of the beloved animated film and includes the memorable melodies of “Once Upon A December” and “Journey To The Past”.

While it incorporates elements of the 20th Century Fox classic, this Anastasia avoids the film’s more fantastical elements (gone are the talking bat and evil sorcerer Rasputin) in favor of a historically accurate version. It’ll come to the Academy of Music from April 9th to 14th.

The Book Of Mormon

From the four-time Emmy Award-winning creators of South Park, Trey Parker and Matt Stone comes this outrageous comedy musical about a pair of mismatched Mormon newbies who are sent on a mission to a place that’s just about as far from Salt Lake City as you can get – Uganda. This hit will be in the Academy of Music from May 29th to June 9th.

Cats

With no doubt, Cats it’s classified among the classics of Broadway. You won’t want to miss this feline adventure from June 18th to the 30th in the Forrest Theater at 1114 Walnut St.

Hamilton

Images Courtesy of The Philadelphia Theater

To be honest, I completely freaked out when I discovered that the play about the bastard orphan Founding Father that’s in the 10 dollar bill was coming to the city of the Liberty Bell. If you don’t know what Hamilton is or have not heard of this play, I don’t know under which rock have you been living all this time. Get ready to have this masterpiece in the Forrest Theater from August 27th to November 17th, don’t you dare to miss it!

How The Grinch Stole Christmas

This Dr. Seuss’ Holiday classic is coming to the City of Brotherly Love and you’ll certainly not want to miss it to get into the spirit. The show will be performing in the Merriam Theatre from December 19th to the 29th.

See you at the shows!

A Venezuelan girl adventuring her way through college in Philly. Passionate about politics, music, writing, traveling and cultures. Art enthusiast. Aspiring Journalist. Current World-Changer. Senior editor for Her Campus Drexel. Class of 2023.
Her Campus Drexel contributor.