This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Dickinson chapter.

Life can get really busy. Between classes, meetings, clubs, and work, it can be hard to find time to exercise. There is only so much time during a day and often when we’re tired or stressed, exercise is not a main priority. This semester, I wanted to be better at making exercise a priority. It’s important to maintain your physical health and after five weeks of exercising regularly, I can honestly say I feel better all around. Here are some ways I’ve managed to make exercise an important part of my life.

Build exercise time into your schedule

This is the most important factor to my success this semester! Last semester, I would always say I would go to the gym if I had time. That mindset never worked since I always prioritized something else over exercise. This semester, I set aside time in my schedule specifically for exercise. This way exercise has dedicated time in my schedule and I can’t make excuses for skipping it. I know every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday morning the first thing I will do is go to the gym and it’s worked so far!

Get a gym buddy

It definitely helps to have someone go with you to the gym so they can motivate you! My roommate comes with me twice a week and having someone else who can hold me accountable is really helpful. Having outside motivation is great and seeing someone else prioritize exercise can be motivating. 

Have comfy workout clothes

A big part of my problem before was never wanting to get dressed to go to the gym. It just seemed like so much work having to switch clothes just to work. Now that I go to the gym first thing in the morning, I can start my day by putting on workout clothes. Going to the gym is an investment in your physical health and your clothes might as well match that effort! Build a gym wardrobe that’s full of clothes that you want to wear. Half the battle of going to the gym is getting ready for the gym.

These are the biggest tricks I’ve used to get myself to exercise regularly. So far they’ve worked and I hope they do for you too! 

Alexandra Loh

Dickinson '19

Alex is a senior English major at Dickinson College. Alex enjoys traveling, cooking, and watching college basketball.
Anonymous at Dickinson