Dickinson Hosts First-Ever Drag Show

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Dickinson chapter.

On October 21st, Dickinson presented its first drag show featuring Mrs. Kasha Davis. The experience presented something exciting both for fans of drag and those unfamiliar with it. The event was sponsored by the Multi-Organizational Board (MOB) and by the Office of LGBTQ Services at Dickinson. The event also featured a bake sale benefitting those affected by the shooting at the Pulse Nightclub in Orlando. Although the show itself was free, money from the bake sale was donated to the OneOrlando fund, which assists families of victims, those who were injured and individuals present in the club during the attack.

Image

Mrs. Kasha Davis, a drag performer from New York City, was featured on Season 7 of RuPaul’s Drag Race. Fans of the show came excited to see her perform in person. Additionally, the show featured many other talented drag queens and kings from the region. The kings included Sir Beauty, Chocolate and BIGDADDY, whose performances elicited tremendous enthusiasm from the students. The queens, Jade DeVere, Betty Whitecastle and Lizzie Beaumont, Belladonna Ouija, Diamond Taylor, Skarlet Overkill, Felicia O’Toole and Mrs. Kasha Davis herself, presented performances that Dickinsonians raved about. The kings and queens elicited cheers from the crowd with singing, dancing and comedy routines. Notably, Betty Whitecastle and Lizzie Beaumont dedicated their number to those affected by the Orlando shooting.

Since the event was held from 7-9pm on a Friday, the drag show presented the perfect opportunity for students to relax, let go and be entertained at the end of a busy week. Many students had their minds opened to a new form of performance art. Numerous students also tipped the performers.

Throughout the performance, it was obvious the amount of painstaking work that the kings and queens put into their routines. I myself, as well as many other members of the crowd, gained a tremendous amount of respect and admiration for what these performers do. The drag show was a huge hit, and was an awesome experience thanks to the Office of LGBTQ Services, MOB and, of course, the performers themselves.

Enthusiast of video games, makeup, and (of course) college.