Style > Beauty

From Catwalk to Campus: 5 Fall Beauty Trends to Try This Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Dickinson chapter.

Happy Makeup Monday, collegiettes! Are you bored with your current beauty routine? Look no further, Her Campus is here to get you out of your beauty slump. Fall is a great time for color when it comes to your makeup, especially for those of you who are afraid to be too bold. Here are some beauty trends that are wearable and oh-so-autumn.

Bold Black Eyeliner

The air is crisper, the nights are darker and, this Fall, so is eyeliner. Black is classic, cool and perfect for class and going out. If you’re just headed to lecture, a slightly smoky upper lid is a subtle statement, but if you want to be bolder go for your lower lash line too! With the 90’s back in full force, you can’t go wrong with a grungier look. Are you on the market for black eyeliner? My go-to liners are Urban Decay’s 24/7 Glide on Eye Pencil in the color “Perversion” and Stila’s Smudge Pot in black. For great (and less expensive) alternatives try Sephora Collection’s Retractable Waterproof Eyeliner in classic black or NYX’s Gel Eyeliner & Smudger in “Betty.”

Make Your Eyes Sparkle (Literally)

Glitter isn’t just for New Years Eve and bid day, sparkle and shine this autumn! Glittery eye shadow was all the rage at New York Fashion Week and there’s no reason why you can’t rock it at school. For the shimmery look of your dreams, pop on Tom Ford’s Cream and Powder Eye Color duo, Stila’s Magnificent Metals Foil Finish Eye Shadow or Sephora Collection’s Colorful Eye Shadow in a glitter finish.

Dark Lips for Days

Move aside classic red lips! As much as I love a good, timeless rouge, this fall is all about plum and wine-colored lippies. Channel your inner witchy woman and brave a bold lip! A dark lipstick is the perfect way to look put-together (even if you don’t feel put-together) during those early morning classes. Some lovely lip products to achieve this look are Giorgio Armani’s Rouge D’Armani in “Night Viper” (the magnetic case is a cool packaging bonus!), MAC’s Lipstick in “Hang-Up” and NYX’s Soft Matte Lip Cream in “Transylvania.”

Peachy Keen for Fall

Do you think the color peach only belongs in the Spring? Not according to runway makeup trends! Pretty peach shadow proved itself to be a fall-worthy look. Pinky shadows add a touch of whimsy and romance to the most edgy, dark fashion looks. This is also the perfect eye look to wear with your dark, sultry on-trend lips! Two amazing products to achieve this eye-catching look are Urban Decay’s Naked 3 palette and Inglot Freedom System Eye Shadow in “Pearl.”

Fresh-Faced is in Fashion

With the hype of contour and strobing officially having peaked, a fresh-faced trend has hit the runway. Minimalistic, “no-makeup” makeup is perfect for those who prefer to have a “natural” look for class. To achieve this look, good foundation, concealer and highlighter are key to making your skin look flawless.  For light, buildable coverage, I recommend Urban Decay’s Naked Skin foundation (available in a variety of shades), for a full coverage concealer try Benefit’s Boi-ing concealer, and for a dewy finish, my holy grail highlighter is Benefit’s High Beam Liquid Face Highlighter.

There you have it, five beauty trends that I am absolutely falling for! Would you rather spend your money on late night Dominos than on makeup? Check out our article on makeup dupes here.

Images: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Alexandra (Alex) is a Senior classics and religion double major and Campus Correspondent at Dickinson College. On campus, Alex is a first-year mentor, plays club sports, and is an active member of Kappa Alpha Theta. In her spare time, Alex is a self-confessed Food Network junkie and shopaholic. After graduation, she would love to work at a magazine or a PR agency. You can find her on instagram and twitter at @astagsss.