6 Makeup Dupes that Won’t Break the Bank

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Dickinson chapter.

Splurging on makeup is a guilty pleasure of mine, and my wallet has definitely taken a hit. However, there are dupes of almost every makeup product that are much more affordable than its high-end counterpart (and sometimes even better quality)! Check out some of my favorite dupes below for beauty that won’t break the bank!

Foundation

Every collegiette needs a long-lasting foundation. With our busy schedules, it can be tough to find time for ourselves, much less to worry about our makeup. Lancome’s Teint Idole 24H Long Wear Foundation will hide any of your skin’s imperfections and stays non-greasy all day. With a selection of 35 shades, you’re bound to find the right one for you. If the steep price of $47 makes you hesitate, try L’Oreal’s Infallible Pro-Matte 24HR Foundation! It retails for $12.99 at Ulta. This foundation is equally long-lasting, but has a smaller range of shades.

Concealer

It can be difficult to get enough sleep every night when you’re swamped with papers and exams. Concealer can help hide under eye circles that sneak up from sleep deprivation. The NARS Radiant Creamy Concealer is buildable and evens complexion. It retails for $29 at Sephora and comes in 16 shades. A similar product is Maybelline’s Instant Age Rewind Eraser Dark Circle Treatment Concealer which retails for $8.99 at Ulta. It’s affordable and does a great job of hiding those pesky under eye circles!

Eyeliner

If you struggle with liquid eyeliner like I do, you know that pencil and gel liners are your best friends. My go-to is Urban Decay’s 24/7 Glide-On Eye Pencil, which retails for $20 at Sephora. It comes in 36 shades and stays on all day! A cheaper, equally long-lasting alternative is Rimmel London’s ScandalEyes Waterproof Kohl Eyeliner. Although the color range isn’t as impressive, it’s much easier on your wallet and retails for only $4.49 at Ulta!

Lips  

Lip balm is becoming a necessity as the temperature begins to drop and the wind picks up. If you want protection and color in your lip balm, try Dior Addict Lip Glow, which retails for $33 at Sephora. Though this product  only comes in three shades, it does a great job of keeping your lips moisturized. A more affordable alternative is Revlon’s Colorburst Lip Butter, which retails for $7.99 at Target. It provides the same sheer, moisturizing coverage and comes in 18 shades!

Fall also calls for matte lips. Kat Von D’s Everlasting Liquid Lipstick retails for $20 at Sephora and offers a wide range of classic colors such as red and plum, as well as edgier ones like blue and black. This lipstick glides on smoothly, dries matte, and won’t budge all day! ColourPop’s Ultra Matte Lip products are much cheaper at only $6 and do the same job. Both lipsticks come in practically any color you can imagine!

Setting Spray

A setting spray is essential to keeping your made-up face perfect all day. My personal favorite is the Smashbox Photo Finish Primer Water, which doubles as a primer and a setting spray! This product retails for $32 at Sephora. True to its name, it feels lightweight and hydrating. Your makeup will stay put throughout the day, whether you’re running from one campus building to another or snacking and watching Netflix. The Nyx Cosmetics Matte Finish Makeup Setting Spray is a similar product that retails for just $7.99 at Ulta! If you prefer a dewy finish, Nyx offers a Dewy Finish Makeup Setting Spray as well for the same price!

For more makeup dupe inspiration, check out some beauty bloggers’ Instagram accounts! My favorites include @dupethat and @shesadaydream. Now that you know some ways to spend less on makeup, your money can go to more important things, like Chipotle!

Goeun Choi

Dickinson

Goeun is a senior psychology major and Senior Editor at Dickinson College. She works at the career center on campus and is involved in her chapter of Kappa Alpha Theta and in Psi Chi. French bulldogs, Mexican food (or any food), and bad reality TV are her weaknesses. Find her on Instagram at @goeun.