Run With Your Best Friend Now

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DESU chapter.

Although you and your squad might not sync up on your menstrual cycles some habits do naturally align among friends: When researchers looked at the running habits of 1.1 million runners around the world over a five-year period, as collected by an activity-monitoring company whose users track virtual friends’ pace and mileage, they found that virtual friends followed similar training habits.

The results, published in Nature Communicationssuggest that friends who push themselves to run faster and farther can motivate you to do the same — simply by doing their thing.

Study authors didn’t look into what triggers these effects, but they’re confident that the results prove running is “socially contagious,” according to study leader Sinan Aral, PhD, a professor at Massachusetts Institute of Technology’s Sloan School of Management who spoke with the New York TimesThat said, their learnings don’t apply to non-runners trying to start up new habits from scratch, or friends who pursue other sports together, for which more research is needed. 

As researchers delve into these unsolved mysteries, it pays to go for a jog, which obviously benefits you. Now get out there, and pound the pavement!

Raised in Queens, with a major in Mass Communication and a love for writing. Graduating in 2018 in hopes of working in Television production. I love reading novels, blogs and magazine articles. I'm completed addicted to TV Shows and my ultimate goal is to always have fun.