This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DESU chapter.

With President Elect, Donald Trump, abolishing Obamacare as one of his first orders of business, let’s take a step back and look at all the ways the affordable healthcare act has benefited Americans. Obamacare offers Americans reduced health insurance through taxes and other regulations. It has also led to a significant decrease in the number of citizens with no health insurance. While doing so, it has also allowed the health care industry to thrive substantially.

The affordable health care act was put in place to ensure that all Americans can obtain healthcare. This is done through the use of taxes, regulations, subsidies, and insurance exchanges. Obamacare can never turn anyone away and once obtained and offers many discounts and insurance plans.

Since Obamacare was put in place it has decreased the amount of Americans with no healthcare. Per statistics, the number of people without health insurance fell from 16.0% in 2010 to 8.9% during the January–June 2016 period. The statistics show a positive change in the healthcare industry and uninsured citizens.

As of today, the healthcare industry continues to thrive exponentially. The 7 trillion-dollar industry has benefited greatly from Obamacare. The healthcare act has led to new jobs in the industry and cut the overall costs of healthcare in America while it remains a free market.

A Mass Communications major looking to obtain an internship or employment using my communication and writing expertise towards opportunities in journalism, editing, and writing
Raised in Queens, with a major in Mass Communication and a love for writing. Graduating in 2018 in hopes of working in Television production. I love reading novels, blogs and magazine articles. I'm completed addicted to TV Shows and my ultimate goal is to always have fun.