This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DESU chapter.

Anaya Balkcom

In life, we are constantly on the go. Making sure we are meeting deadlines, socializing, or partaking in community outreach, we are always on the move. 

Although it can feel fulfilling to accomplish your goals and help others do the same, we fail to realize its effect on our bodies. At times, we as a society can take the motto “You Only Live Once” too far. We start believing that we need to accomplish every goal right at this second because we only have one life. 

It’s true we only live once, which is why we need to take care of ourselves in this lifetime to ensure that this life we live will be a healthy one. 

The feeling of wanting to take advantage of every opportunity is normal. However, taking on too many opportunities or responsibilities may cause you to feel overwhelmed. Even though we want to get the most out of life, we must remind ourselves that it’s not worth it if we work ourselves to the point where we can no longer enjoy it.

Being a college student can be extremely overwhelming at times. With assignments due and events constantly happening, setting aside time for myself seemed impossible. 

That was until I developed a set of tips that helped me prioritize myself and my well-being. Below, I have provided the tips I’ve used to overcome my stressful days in hopes of inspiring others to do the same. 

The Art of Saying ‘No’

“No” is the most powerful word in our vocabulary. The word “no” helped me to set boundaries and effectively communicate my availability to others. I often felt compelled to say yes when asked if I would like to help prepare for an event or join a new organization on campus. Before saying yes, I referred to my availability and asked myself if I could provide my time and energy. Remember, saying no is truthful, not selfish. People want honest answers and appreciate it when you’re upfront about your availability.  

Create Your Schedule 

For a while, I was accustomed to following my school or work schedule that determined my day-to-day activities. However, I decided to create a schedule that factored in personal time to myself. The schedule reminds me to check in with myself and process my day by factoring alone time into my everyday routine. 

Slow Down

To keep up with the fast-paced world around us, we believe that we need to move even faster. This belief caused me to miss the present because I was focused on the future. Whenever I feel like life is moving too fast and I can’t keep up, I remind myself to breathe. I stop what I’m doing for one second, inhale, then exhale. This helps me to remember to live in the present.

I then ask myself what are three things I’m grateful for that day. By reminding myself what I’m thankful for, I’m forcing myself to focus on the present and life’s many gifts. 

Remember, Self-Care Isn’t Selfish 

Even when we slow down, enjoying the moment can be challenging because we may think we don’t deserve it. Whenever I feel unworthy of a self-care day, I remind myself that I can not help others until I help myself first. Regardless of how you practice self-care, remember that you can not pour into others if your glass is empty. 

Prioritizing your needs can be difficult when you’re constantly on the go. It can seem easier to prioritize events or matters before yourself. 

When you are in the moment, it can be difficult to implement the steps aforementioned. Be sure to have your schedules ready, along with self-care ideas that you use weekly, if not daily. 

Prioritizing yourself, setting boundaries, and effectively communicating helped relieve me from unnecessary stress. 

For 2024, each of us should make it our goal to set firm boundaries and prioritize ourselves. 

Anaya Balkcom is a current sophomore attending Delaware State University, and pursuing a degree in Mass Communications with a concentration in Convergence Journalism. Prior to attending Delaware State University, Anaya graduated from The Ursuline High School where she was a member of the Female Empowering Voices Program. During this time Anaya was selected to represent her school in a CBS news special on the topic of New Rochelle Students inspired by Vice President Kamala Harris. It was at this time Anaya discovered her true passion found in the area of Mass Communications. From there, in Anaya’s senior year of high school, she explored different avenues in Mass Communication through an internship BronxNet Open 2.0 with BronxNet TV Station. During this internship Anaya created, hosted, edited, and programmed feature segments. Through this she gained exposure to the world of television and film. Upon entry into DSU, Anaya became a member of the campus radio station and composed articles for the campus newspaper. You can also find Anaya’s latest work in the media on Spotify, under the podcast titled “All in With Anaya Morgan.”