sagar patil 8UcNYpynFLU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sagar patil 8UcNYpynFLU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DESU chapter.

Choices Matter

I am going on my second semester of my internship with Alliance Sports Marketing and it has changed my perspective entirely.  This internship has changed my perspective in several ways from my position to making an impact to the community.

First, my concentration has nothing to do with my internship, but they have incorporated my skill set as an asset in some projects.  I am a Mass Communication major with a concentration in television, radio, and film. My main position is event management, but I also film and edit videos that they can use for future campaigns and projects.  I edit old videos that they filmed where they have visitors or speakers who relate to the campaigns, talk to the interns. The company took a risk and allow me to be an intern, teach me about event management and marketing, and give me the skill set to do my job plus some other projects.

Second, I get to travel between Delaware, Maryland, and Washington D.C.  I manage our booth at festivals, high school sports games, and etc. Managing a team ranging from two to five people has also helped me outside of my internship with leading in my extracurriculars.  We have different activities at these events from walking the line with the “beer goggles” to using a virtual reality simulation. Traveling has helped me get to know staff, some interesting events, and places that you would have not known about between the two states and Washington D.C. Sometimes interns get to travel outside of their designated states to participate in other campaigns too.

Third, I had the opportunity to travel to their corporate office.  They flew me, my boss, and our newest intern in the office to Nashville, Tennessee.  We discussed stuff in the company from setting up equipment to the expectations as interns.  Not only was this an opportunity to learn more about the corporate office, but to network with all the new interns from the Nashville and Maine office.  We did a little exploration, but this trip taught me that although my position is small, it has greatly impacted my community and the office since I had no idea they knew who I was.

Lastly, I get to impact the lives of all ranges of ages.  When I go to the schools we focus on our Choices Matter campaign that helps interact with high schoolers and their families.  Informing about how texting and driving does impact lives, hearing stories of those who have been impacted from texting and driving.  Another campaign includes Drive Sober where we go to festivals and try to make our message aware to those intoxicated or who are the designated drivers.  With this campagin, you hear more emotional stories or why some people have stopped drinking. Even though we talk to several people at all these events, we are making an impact to our community in a small way and I always feel great with making an impact after a long day of work.

Hi everyone, I am from the Lonestar state, go cowboys!  I lived in several places including some countries which I love writing about, along with writing about lifestyle.  I am majoring in Mass Communications with a with a minor in history! 
Born and raised in sunny California but am currently attending DESU. Studying mass communications & theatre. Hopefully you'll see me on TV some day but for now, you can read some of my articles!