5 Tips That Will Help You Survive Your Freshman Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DESU chapter.

Okay ladies, you’re finally on your way to college. I know there are so many things running through your head as the beginning of the semester approaches, but don’t panic! These five tips will help you survive your freshman year of college.

1. Avoid becoming stressed out

I know that sounds easier said than done, but stressing over things that are beyond your control can cause you to overeat, breakout, etc. One way to relieve stress is to workout. Doing some cardio or lifting some weights for 30-45 minutes will relieve you of any stress you have. Yoga is also a great stress reliever for even the most anxiety-driven situations.

2. Write out your plans

DON’T type it in your phone. It is so important to physically write out your plans! Studies actually show that when you write down your plans or any information, your brain is more likely to retain the information .

3. Study Groups are AMAZING

Living the dorm life is more beneficial than you may think. Whether your dorm is co-ed or an all-female dorm, your dorm mates could be struggling in the same classes that you are and you may not even know it. With the help of study groups, you not only get to know the people in your dorm more, but you can complete the work that you find difficult with a buddy! This will make your classwork a little less stressful and more fun.

4. Join Clubs

Many people come to college not knowing anyone, and that’s totally okay! There’s no better way to get to know students and make friends than to join clubs that are interesting to you. This will give you the opportunity to meet people who have similar interests as you. You’re already on the right track to making new friends!

5. Keep Your Faith

No matter what your religious beliefs are, always hold them close to your heart during times when stress can take over your life. It doesn’t matter how stressed or overwhelmed you become; as long as you keep your faith, you will get through it no matter what.

So there it is. I hope these tips will help you having an amazing freshman year. Remember that nothing will come in your path that you can’t handle. Have a great freshman year!

Hello! My name is Janae Faison and I am I double major at Delaware State University as a English and Journalism major. DSU Chapter of Her Campus just like the rest of the site is meant to empower all young women who are in college. Enjoy the DSU Chapter of Her Campus!
Raised in Queens, with a major in Mass Communication and a love for writing. Graduating in 2018 in hopes of working in Television production. I love reading novels, blogs and magazine articles. I'm completed addicted to TV Shows and my ultimate goal is to always have fun.