This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DESU chapter.

Now that the excitement of the holidays is over and we are officially back in class, the winter blues may be starting to kick in. I don’t know about you, but by the end of January I am OVER winter. It’s cold and dreary outside and none of my favorite outfits are warm enough. That’s why I turn to my favorite TV genre, comedy. Below are 10 sitcoms to lift your spirits while you’re curled up inside to avoid the cold. 

Schitt’s Creek

“Schitt’s Creek” is about a wealthy family who suddenly becomes completely broke after their assets are seized by the government. The family is forced to a small rural town where they could not be more different from the locals. The characters are written creative and amusing and watching them adjust to their new lives is extremely funny. The final season is airing right now. Don’t miss out!

Everything’s Gonna be Okay

I am a bit of a sucker for cute family shows and this show is exactly that. After the sudden death of his father, Nicholas becomes the guardian of his two half sisters, one of which has autism. In true Freeform fashion, the show has its tear jerking moments, but overall a feel good show. The characters sarcastic banter is comical and entertaining. This shows cuteness factor is off the charts.

The Last O.G.

Jordan Peele’s creation starring Tracy Morgan & Tiffany Haddish tells the story of an ex con who has just been released from prison only to return to Brooklyn to see things have drastically changed. The shows lighthearted humor pokes fun at hipsters while you watch the main characters try to make sense of gentrified Brooklyn and reconnect with his children.

The Good Place

“The Good Place” is a hilarious and absurd take on what is happening in the after life. If Dr. Suess wrote a book about what happens to you when you die it would look very similar to this show. I actually wasn’t an immediate fan of the show, but after finishing the first season.. I stand corrected. The character development is written well. You will end up loving all the dysfunctional characters and route for them on their mission to be good people.

Brooklyn Nine Nine

“Brooklyn Nine Nine” is a hilarious parody of cop shows. This show has all the elements of a great sitcom, running jokes, funny dialogue, ridiculous situations, and pop culture references. We have all seen the classic crime show with the same storylines and character tropes and they all get made fun of in this sitcom.

Perfect Harmony

After a prestigious music professor loses his job and his wife he finds himself bitter and stuck in a small southern town, where he becomes the direction of a dysfunctional church choir. This is about a group of outcasts that form unlikely friends. It is easy to binge and delivers light hearted laughs for the audience. Guaranteed to lift your mood.

Zoey’s Extraordinary Playlist

“Zoey’s Extraordinary Playlist” is about a young woman who suddenly has the power to hear people’s thoughts and feelings, but there is a catch. Those thoughts are shown to her through song and dance numbers by those around her. Having people constantly serenade is such an awkward way to hear someone’s inner thoughts that comes across very comical. This show isn’t all happy moments though, get ready to feel feelings.

Single Parents

The show is pretty goofy, but the bits definitely hold up. Four very different families come together on the common ground of being a single parent household. Both the parents and children in show have unique personalities and quirks that make the interactions and events of the show very funny. This is an easy to watch feel good show that is great to throw on when you just want to relax and laugh.

I’m Sorry

Andrea Savage plays a comedy writer, wife and mother in the sitcom, “I’m Sorry”.  She has to navigate between the inappropriate comedy world and motherhood .. playdates, birthday parties, volunteering at the school. Throughout the show the lines between the two very different worlds get blurred and the outcome is hilarious. Andrea’s dark sense of humor mixed with motherhood is definitely entertaining and bound to make you laugh.

Awkwafina is Nora From Queens

Awkwafina’s new comedy series “Nora from Queens” follows the adventures of 27 year-old who is struggling to get her life together. Embarrassed that she still lives with her dad and grandma, the main character tries her luck at “adulting”. Nora’s humor and lack of filter makes for some hilarious and awkward moments.

My Name is Brittany Inglis, I am a junior at Delaware State University majoring in Mass Communications: Digital Media & Journalism. I am the kind of person who gets excited about new information. I love to learn new things and in turn share those things with others. I have a variety of interests that I am passionate about ranging from politics to film to fashion, which is why I’m pursing a career in communications. Media allows the level of creativity and freedom I want to be able to pursue projects on multiple subjects.
Hi everyone, I am from the Lonestar state, go cowboys!  I lived in several places including some countries which I love writing about, along with writing about lifestyle.  I am majoring in Mass Communications with a with a minor in history!