Wellness

Tips to keep grades up whiles staying healthy

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePauw chapter.

It can be hard, especially during the first year of college, to balance school work, social life, and maintaining proper health. My freshman year was certainly a struggle, but I feel that I now have a good grip on balancing all of the hardships of college. Here is my unofficial list of how to stay healthy while keeping grades up.

Mandate specific time for rest

It is super easy to overcommit your time. With studying, meetings with professors, extracurricular activities, and work, there feels like there is no end to the busyness. This year, to prevent burnout, I have decided to allocate time to rest and relaxation. Personally, I don’t do any homework on the weekends. This allows me to hang out with friends and have fun without the looming dread of getting assignments done on time. Having homework-free weekends may not work for everyone’s schedule, but make sure to give yourself time to rest. When you overwork yourself, your mental and physical health are likely to slip. 

Use the resources DePauw offers

DePauw Counseling Services are free for students, and one hundred percent worth your time. In my experience, going to counseling helped me get through my freshman year more so than anything else did. Not only does DePauw counseling help keep your mind healthy, but there are a million other faculty that are here to listen and help students. DePauw offers tutoring sessions for the majority of classes, and tutoring helps calm the stress of not understanding something from class. The Women’s Center is a great place on campus to calm down from a stressful day. With calming scents and comfortable furniture, it’s hard to feel anxious and overwhelmed inside. Sarah Ryan, the Director of the Women’s Center, is there to help students and provide listening ears. Taking advantage of these resources will help alleviate anxieties about school. 

At the end of the day, if your mental and physical health isn’t in good shape, your grades won’t be, either. Taking care of yourself should always be a priority. Once you prioritize that, good grades will follow swiftly behind.

Anthropology Major and Geology/Education Minor Co-President of HC DPU Passionate about learning