rodion kutsaev 8P uQaTd8rw unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
rodion kutsaev 8P uQaTd8rw unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Mental Health

Songs for Your Mental Health

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePauw chapter.

May is Mental Health Awareness Month!! Here are a few songs that may help you remember that you’re not alone.

“Anxiety” by Julia Michaels (with Selena Gomez)

This song manages to sound upbeat, but it’s also pretty #relatable when it comes to living with anxiety. The chorus goes, “but all my friends, they don’t know what it’s like, what it’s like.” Not having friends or people around you that “know what it’s like” is hard, and I would encourage you to find those people if you don’t. But at least you know these two ladies are there for you. Read more about it here.

“dear insecurity” by gnash and Ben Abraham

The opening lyrics to this song are “Dear insecurity / When you gonna take your hands off me? / ​When you ever gonna let me be / Proud of who I am?” and it ends with “I’m proud of who I am.” I love that this song personifies insecurities and takes us through a journey of coming to accept yourself for exactly who you are.

“Golden” by Ruth B.

My favorite line from this song is “’cause I’m not weak, I’m not broken I am bold / And the fire you put me through turned me into gold.” This song is all about empowerment and knowing your worth.

“In My Blood” by Shawn Mendes

A BOP. This song is super fun, but it also has an empowering message: don’t give up. Easier said than done, right? But this song advocates for staying true to yourself and using the power within to get you through.

“Sadness” by Noah Cyrus

“We’re all in this together, we’ll forever rise and fall…So I’m trying to be friends with my sadness.” Cyrus comes to terms with her depression and recognizes she can channel good energy and that she’ll be alright.

Hi, my name is Bridget! I'm a Peace and Conflict Studies major with Philosophy and Asian Studies minors. I love writing about my friends, personal growth, social justice, and of course, all things Bachelor/Bachelorette!