This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePauw chapter.

Sustainability is a buzzword in the media today. There are all kinds of companies that now want to market themselves as “green” products so it can feel pretty overwhelming when you are trying to make switches. Over the past year, I’ve tried to slowly swap out some of my everyday items with more sustainable replacements. I want to give you an honest review of the products I’ve tried so far! 

Safety Razor: 5/10

I got this safety razor for Christmas and I was so excited to use it! It took a little bit to get used to the different shape since you have to hold it at a bit of a different angle. It also only has one blade, which was a change since a normal disposable razor has multiple. You have to go over each leg more than you would with a normal razor but I do think the end result is just as close of a shave. This specific razor has a really short handle which was also a little inconvenient. If I could go back and get a different one I think I would look for something that was both sustainable but also had all of the features of a normal razor. I’ve heard great things about the Billie Razor and the Leaf Company. 

Bar Shampoo: 7/10

This was something else I got for Christmas. I have never been too picky when it comes to hair care products so I thought why not switch to something that doesn’t use single-use plastic? I did a little bit of research before I started to use the bar. Most said that it might take a while for your hair to adjust to this new type of natural shampoo but I really didn’t notice a significant difference. I am also still using a normal drug store conditioner so that might have made the switch easier. I look forward to experimenting with bar conditioners in the future!

As far as this specific bar goes I really like the smell and the lather. It does not lather near as much as a liquid shampoo but still enough to make me feel like I’ve scrubbed my whole head. I am also sure that I will get better at using it the more time I have it. Finally, the last drawback is that you can’t just leave it in your shower if you don’t have a place to keep it dry, since it would wash away eventually. I keep mine in a little dish and then just bring it to the edge of the shower with me. If you have a better shower set up this might not be a problem for you.

Bees Wax Wraps: 9/10

These things are so so cool. I am constantly amazed by how well they work. I don’t remember exactly where I got mine but you can find them tons of places or even make them yourself. I love that the heat from your hand forms to whatever you are trying to wrap. They also come in such cool patterns which is way more fun than boring plastic. My only complaint with these is that they do need to be hand washed with cool water so you don’t melt the wax too much. I still think they are worth the little bit of extra clean-up work though. 

Nixit Period Disk: 10/10

I can not recommend this product enough!!! I’ve already written a whole article about this product and other sustainable menstrual products. I haven’t had to buy tampons in over a year. (I have more than made my money back from buying the Nixit!) I don’t have to worry about leaving the house with a few tampons in my pockets or try to sneak them into the bathroom while I’m out in public. Just like any new product, this one can take some getting used to since you do have to insert it inside yourself and empty it out, but stick with it! If you are nervous about trying it, I recommend starting out with Flex. That is what I did. It is the same concept as the Knixit but you dispose of them at the end of the day. 

Reusable Straws: 9/10

These are pretty popular now, but I still think they deserve a spot on this list. I love mine and I can’t imagine using disposable ones now. I have some metal ones but I like my silicon ones a lot better. I just purchased a pack off of Amazon that came with lots of different colors and sizes. I use the largest size for smoothies and the smallest size for ice coffee. Mine have gotten pretty stained now from all the coffee and they are kind of hard to clean on the inside but I still think they are something everyone should have. 

I tried to link as many items as possible! Hopefully, this guide helps you the next time you are thinking about making a switch. 

Hi, I'm Zosha! I'm a senior and I'm also the Senior Editor of the DePauw HerCampus Chapter. I'm an English Writing Major and Psychology Minor. In addition to HerCampus, I am also a Bonner School, Fiction Editor for the Midwestern Review, and a member of Alpha Chi Omega. My obsessions are otters, The Office, and flowers.
Hi, I'm Katherine! I'm an Anthropology major. I am a member of the Honors Scholar Program, as well as a Bonner Scholar.