This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePauw chapter.

I hate periods. Even though I have been dealing with this terrible time of month since I was 12 years old it still feels like I can’t get through a cycle with out a lot of stress and ruining at least one pair of underwear. 

Recently, there have been tons of articles circulting about how tampons aren’t really that great for you. They contain all kinds of toxic chemicals, they dry up natural fluids that your body needs, plus they are terrible for the envrioment. 

There are brands working to combate these problems by coming out with 100% cotton tampons and reusable menstral cups. I’ve tried it all but I haven’t loved anything as much as I’ve loved Flex and Nixit menstral discs. Unlike the more commonly used menstral cups (shown above) Flex and Nixit are shaped more like a bowl and sit up much much higher than a tampon or menstral cups does. This important design detail comes with a ton of added benefits. 

Flex

The Flex Company, in addition to selling traditional menstral cups, also offers a revolutionary menstral disc. When put in correctly this disc will sit right above your pelvic bone and can hold way more blood than a tampon. (Its not as scary as it sounds, I promise.) This unique design promises 12 hours of protection, reduced cramps, mess free period sex and a more comfortable fit! Even though this disc is disposable, it still causes less waste than tampons. 

It seems a little scary at first, but hey weren’t we all scared the first time we tried tampons? I loved using this product! Instead of worrying about having a tampon on me at all times just incase I had to go to the bathroom, I only had to change this twice a day. The rest of the time I was stress free! 

Flex also has unmatched customer service! They want to make sure that you are getting and using a product that works for you. I went to their website to look at questions and instructions after reciveing my first box. Another great benefit is they are shipped to your house each month so you never have to worry about running out! 

Nixit

After trying Flex and loving it, I wanted to find something that would be cheaper and better for the environment. So, I tried the Nixit reusable disc. I can see where people would find this even more intemidting, now you have to wash and take care of this thing, but I promise its worth it! Nixit has all the same benfits as Flex, reduced cramps, 12 hour protection and mess free period sex. Their product, unlike the Diva Cup, has no suction and contains no plastic. This cup will last cycle after cycle so you won’t have to worry about restocking on your period products. 

The best part about this product is since it is resuable once you put it in at the begining of your period all you have to do is empty it each time you use the restroom. No more stressing about bringing tampons with you or rushing to the bathroom every couple of hours. 

Overall Review

Periods suck, but cool products like these make it easier. To be honest I was a little scared to use them, and they for sure took some practice. So, if you are curious about them, make sure to give them a real shot! These products have really helped make my life easier and being a girl suck less, and I hope they are helpful for you too! 

Hi, I'm Zosha! I'm a senior and I'm also the Senior Editor of the DePauw HerCampus Chapter. I'm an English Writing Major and Psychology Minor. In addition to HerCampus, I am also a Bonner School, Fiction Editor for the Midwestern Review, and a member of Alpha Chi Omega. My obsessions are otters, The Office, and flowers.
Hi, I'm Rose Overbey! I'm a senior at DePauw University, majoring in English writing. I'm a passionate non-fiction writer with interests in upcycling, crafts, fashion, and the environment.