architecture building business cinema 436413?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
architecture building business cinema 436413?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Felicity Warner / HCM

Must-Read Books that are Coming Soon to the Big Screen

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePauw chapter.

Are you a read-the-book-before-the-movie type of person? If so, then time is ticking because within the next year or so, these book adaptations will be available on the big screen! If you are an avid “book-toker” like I am, then you are no stranger to the endless amount of rumors swirling around, however, according to the authors of these books, as well as some of the production crew associated with these projects, these books will be made available sooner than we think!

1. Daisy Jones & the Six

It’s no secret that every book Taylor Jenkins Reid writes is an addicting, yet emotional masterpiece and Daisy Jones continues her legacy. This story follows the fictional Fleetwood Mac-esque 70s rock band, as they face the realities of the rock n roll lifestyle surrounding sex, drugs, and love. Not only that, but the screen adaptation includes stars like The Hunger Games’ Sam Claflin, who is playing the masculine frontman Billy, as well as new stars like Riley Keough, who is playing the eccentric Daisy Jones. Although it hasn’t been announced when the adaptation will be released, the cast and crew have been filming and in production for the past several months, so it is only a matter of time before it is released.

1. Conversations with Friends

If you were a fan of Sally Rooney’s second book and first television show series, then I am sure you will enjoy Conversations with Friends just as much. It focuses on two women who are college students and their strange relationship with an older married couple, which sparks a lot of fiery and romantic drama surrounding the group. This project has been in the works since the early days of the pandemic and the crew has officially finished filming, so my guess is that it will be released later this year!

1. Where the Crawdads Sing

Speaking of Sally Rooney, Daisy Edgar Jones, who played Marianne in the adaptation of Normal People, is also starring in Delia Owens mysterious, page-turning story about a young girl named Kya, who grows up in a shack on the marshlands of North Carolina. While she has her own personal struggles involving her family life, she is able to make a life for herself. However, when a well-known, good-looking guy from their town is found dead, Kya becomes the prime suspect. This film is expected to be released in the summer of 2022.

1. My Policeman

While this film may be a little more lowkey, it includes our not-so-lowkey favorite British pop star, Harry Styles. This adaptation, originally written by Bethan Roberts focuses on the lives of Marion, a quiet school teacher played by The Crown’s Emma Corrin, and her husband Tom, a police officer played by Styles, and their relationship in England in the 50s. It’s until Marion discovers that Tom is having an affair with Patrick, that their whole world comes spiraling down. Fortunately, they finished filming late last year, so the film is expected to be released later this year or early 2023.

1. It Ends With Us

If you are on BookTok, then I am sure you understand or at least have heard the hype about Colleen Hoover’s books, and It Ends With Us will meet if not exceed your expectations. This book can be extremely triggering for some individuals as this book discusses the realities of domestic violence, so I highly recommend checking out other trigger warnings before preparing yourself for this tearjerker of a story. Additionally, this book is being made into a film, which is being developed by Jane the Virgin’s Justin Baldoni, so you know it will be amazing. 

1. Blonde

This adaptation is based on the book by Joyce Carol Oates, which dives into the successful, yet emotional inner life of 50s Hollywood actress, Marilyn Monroe. Monroe will be played by Ana de Armas and was originally set to be released late 2021, however, was postponed to 2022.

Sara Dabisch

DePauw '22

Hi! I'm a Senior Neuroscience major and Kinesiology minor and I love to listen to music, read books, and paint!