How I am Dealing with Change: The Corona Virus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePauw chapter.

Hi everyone. I’m sure we are all sharing a unique, but none-the-less emotional experience. My college is transitioning to e-learning for the rest of the semester due to the Corona Virus.  Whether you are doing online learning for a couple weeks, a month or the rest of the semester, our lives are all changing. As hard as this all is, there are ways to help make it a little easier.  I want to share some of the things that I have done to help make the chaos of life a little calmer.

Let Yourself Feel

One of the first things I did was to let myself feel. Yes, everyone in America is having to make sacrifices. But letting yourself feel is vital. I have cried, yelled and laughed this week, and that is okay. Validate your own emotions because it will help you in the long run.

Self Care

Another thing I did was a little self care. I meditated, did some yoga, slept in and made some time for myself. Amongst this chaos, taking time to calm your emotions, breathe and center yourself are miracle-workers in the coping process.

Rely on the People You Love 

Third, rely on those that care about you. Through this whole experience, I have relied on my best friends here, my friends from home, my parents and more. Without their help and support, I would have been a mess.

Educate Yourself 

Fourth, I did my research. Personal experiences can be extremely emotional, but knowing the facts can sometimes help to mitigate the chaos we feel. I read the news, articles and worked to educate myself on the virus and its effects.

Be There For Your Friends 

Finally, and most importantly, being there for my friends was the most therapeutic for me. Helping my friends through their personal tough times allowed me to take my own advice. Comforting them ultimately comforted me in ways I didn’t know was possible.

I know this is hard. I know this is stressful. But we will all get through it together. I hope these tips helped a little bit. If we all unite and work together, we can get through anything.

Detroit Vs. Everybody Biochem Major Lover of all things gluten free :)
Hi, I'm Rose Overbey! I'm a senior at DePauw University, majoring in English writing. I'm a passionate non-fiction writer with interests in upcycling, crafts, fashion, and the environment.