This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePauw chapter.
Let’s meet Anne Grujanac! Anne is a first-year from the suburbs of Chicago who recently declared a double major in conflict studies and Spanish. Anne has taken advantage of the great opportunities that DePauw offers—she’s a DJ with WGRE, a member of the Rock Climbing Club, a member of Spanish Enrichment and a member of Alpha Chi Omega. She went on the El Servicio trip to Ecuador, and most recently traveled to Nicaragua with CoCoDa for winter term. Her experience in Nicaragua has impacted her global perspective, and forged deep connections with the people amongst the group and in Nicaragua. 

“My DePauw experience has been totally moved by this,” says Anne when describing the Nicaragua trip.

Her passion and appreciation of this trip inspired her and a group of students who also went on the trip to stay connected with CoCoDa. Let’s hear about this awesome new organization on campus!

Her Campus: Hey Anne! Thank you so much for taking the time to talk with us! So tell me about CoCoDa. What inspired the creation of the organization on campus?

Anne Grujanac: It was definitely the experience we all had during our winter term trip abroad. Everyone fell in love with the people, the culture and also the program. We left Nicaragua wanting to continue that connection with CoCoDa and keep helping the people we bonded with. We learned so much from each other and we saw how much we can do for them. Everyone is so passionate, which is awesome! It was an experience of a lifetime!

HC: Wow, that’s amazing. I can only imagine how incredible that experience would be. So, what is CoCoDa?

AG: CoCoDa is a non-profit organization run by Ivan Villasbo, a ’93 DePauw alum. It’s based in Indianapolis and focuses its work in Nicaragua and El Salvador. The purpose of the organization is to improve education infrastructure, water purification, public health and sustainable living. Since DePauw offers numerous winter term programs, having CoCoDa on campus will allow the promotion of intercultural awareness and expanding an individual’s global perspective. 

HC: That’s so inspiring, Anne! Do you have any advice for those who are apprehensive about going abroad or service trips?

AG: I think you find yourself in the most uncomfortable places, and I think getting out of your comfort zone is so important in finding yourself and your passion. I also have such an amazing group of people who I experienced this amazing trip with now. Service trips are so personal and you really make the closest relationships. 

HC: So cool, thanks so much Anne! You rock!
Campus Correspondent for HC DePauw! Psychology and Spanish major, art history minor '17. CollegeFashionista Style Guru & Editorial Intern. DePauw Cheerleading Social Media Manager.