8 Ways to De-Stress During Midterms

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePauw chapter.

We are about half way through the semester, and the stress will not stop piling on. During this busy time, you must remember to take care of yourself because you and your health are the most important thing. Here are some ways to de-stress when all the work gets to be too much!

You could watch Netflix. Try to limit yourself to one or two episodes; otherwise, you’ll never get any work done. My guilty pleasure is watching a 20-minute Friends episode! 

Coloring has proven to be very relaxing for the mind and body. It’s fun and simple, and you can really make a page come alive with color. 

Take a shower. It may sound stupid, but sometimes just feeling clean can improve your mood 1000%. Also, a nice hot shower can be super relaxing. Pick some good smelling soaps too that promote relaxation!

Breathing. There is a technique where, if you catch yourself freaking out, you can stop and do this exercise. Breathe in for 4 seconds, hold your breath for 4 seconds, then breathe out for 4 seconds and repeat. 

Take a walk. Walk around campus, your dorm room, the library, your house, whatever works. This simple act can clear the brain and rejuvenate your energy so you can get back to your work with a good attitude. 

Call a friend. Perhaps catching up with an old friend from home or even calling your BFF that’s halfway across campus can be therapeutic. Leaning on your friends is never a bad thing! They should be there to support you every step of the way!

Do your makeup. I love the motto “look good, feel good” because it’s so true! I know when I put on a little mascara, I feel a little more sassy, classy and beautiful. Doing your makeup can give you a newfound confidence that is transferable into your academic life. 

30-second dance party. A personal favorite. When you’re stuck in a rut and have way too much to do that you don’t even know where to begin…have a dance party! Blast your favorite tunes and rock out; this releases stress and makes you laugh at your own terrible dance moves. 

I grew up in Columbus, Ohio and have been doing dance, gymnastics, and cheerleading for as long as I can remember. I have been a lifeguard for six years. I am a member of the Alpha chapter of Alpha Chi Omega here at DePauw. I have cheered on the tigers for football and basketball seasons for the last three years. I am a Biology major and my dream job is to become a pediatric nurse. I will be going to nursing school after I graduate from DePauw.