This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePauw chapter.
Make Your Bed

Anyone who knows me knows that they will never see my bed unmade. The first thing I do every morning is make my bed. It is a small accomplishment to begin your day on a good note. A clean and organized space = a clean and organized mind. If you take one thing from this article let it be this. Trust me.

Make a To-Do List 

Even if you keep a planner or have an organized calendar of due dates, nothing beats a good old-fashioned to-do list. Whether it is on a sticky note, loose leaf, or on your phone (my favorite is using the reminders app!). Write your to do list every morning, in order of most to least importance. It is good to take one day at a time and a small list of your goals each day is key to completing them. At the end of the day, throw it away!

Move Your Body

And no, I don’t just mean move from your bedroom to the living room. It is essential to get your heart rate up for at least 30 minutes a day. Take a brisk walk, quick run, or even an at home workout or yoga videos on YouTube. Your body will thank you and you will feel better about yourself. Even more so these days, because we all sit in front of our computers for way too long. And don’t ever use the excuse that you have no time, everyone has at least 30 minutes a day. All of those TikTok breaks add up!

Drink More Water

I’m sure there is such thing as too much water–– but trust me, you won’t get there. Our bodies are 70% water, and we need it to survive. But it’s more than likely you aren’t drinking enough, even if you are carrying around a Hydroflask. To see how much water your body needs at minimum, take your body weight and divide it by two, whatever that equals is the amount you need in ounces! Now here is your reminder to get up and go get a glass of water. You will think and feel better–– and have good skin too!

Talk to Someone

I think therapy and mental health, in general, is often viewed as a taboo topic. However, being healthy does not just mean physically healthy–– taking care of your mental health should be just as important. I think oftentimes people begin to go to therapy when they have an issue or problem. The thing is you should start going to therapy before you have an issue! It can be beneficial to talk through your daily stresses and what is on your mind with a neutral party, even if nothing is “going on” in your life. Especially as college students, we are all very stressed, and this may be the only time some of us have access to free therapy. So, take advantage of it! Even if you feel your mental health is in check at the moment, it will never hurt and you may even learn something new! 

DePauw 2021. English Writing Major. Member of Alpha Chi Omega. Sushi and iced coffee are the ways to my heart.
Hi, I'm Katherine! I'm an Anthropology major. I am a member of the Honors Scholar Program, as well as a Bonner Scholar.