neonbrand I6wCDYW6ij8 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
neonbrand I6wCDYW6ij8 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Career

You Can’t Make Me Like LinkedIn

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePaul chapter.

As a PR major, the one piece of advice that comes with every professor is “Make sure you have a LinkedIn”. As a freshman, I had no idea what they were talking about, but within a year I have come accustomed to hearing those words and have begun hating them.

I have tried many, many times to care about LinkedIn. I understand the point: to connect people in the same field of work. But, I am 19 years old, and the amount of times I’ve been told to update my LinkedIn and how important having a presence on it is, is enough to give me a headache. I don’t really see the point of LinkedIn for me. Is it really worth it for me to try to craft the perfect LinkedIn and make sure my resume is constantly updated? My answer is always no.

Url

The platform just seems like a polished version of Facebook, and I just can’t see a point to it. Is an employer really going to scanning LinkedIn profiles to make sure you’re the perfect hire? Or will they turn you down because you’re not sharing and liking news on LinkedIn?

Maybe it will be helpful in my future, but currently, I am tired of hearing how detrimental LinkedIn is to my life.