person taking photo of pants and shoes
person taking photo of pants and shoes
SHTTEFAN/Unsplash

Why I’m Quitting Social Media

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePaul chapter.

*Cue Gasps* I know, I’m attempting the impossible.

This past weekend I deleted all of my social media apps (except Snapchat) from my phone. I kept the actual accounts though because baby steps.

I never really considered myself “addicted” to social media. I think I use it an average amount. When life gets really busy I hardly use it at all. I have taken breaks from it in the past, but recently I decided to go cold turkey.

With all of the stuff that is going on in the world right now (aggressively rolling my eyes at this election) there is a lot of hate and negativity. I found myself reading articles and comments filled with people verbally attacking each other.

I noticed over time that I started to get really angry at the world. I felt like for every positive thing that was on social media, there were ten negative things following behind it. People started to bother me more than they should, I felt like my outlook changed, and I started to get sucked towards everything negative. It was almost like this gray fog was surrounding me. 

I think I need a break from the world. I am not an ignorant person. I am aware of what is happening in the world, and I have my opinions on all of it. I am studying Journalism and Communications, which force me to critically think and understand articles or posts about things that are happening.

But it’s hard…no one likes to constantly read hate and negativity. It definitely wears you down.

Don’t get me wrong; I think social media is a great tool if it’s used correctly. I run my own business and social media is a vital part of that. I like sharing photos on Instagram of the different places I go or connecting with old friends on Facebook. But when I place my small accounts in the bigger picture of it all, it’s not worth it, at least in my opinion. 

I’ll be honest, it’s pretty hard not having social media…I’m on day three, and I keep going onto my phone expecting to scroll through stuff. When I remember that I can’t, I just sit there like a lost puppy until my next class starts.

But it really makes you aware of how much it dictates our lives. How has it come to a point where I literally don’t know what else to do in certain moments than to use social media? I have noticed that not having it has made me more motivated to focus on my business and my schoolwork. I have channeled all of my energy into those things, hoping that they will eventually fill the void.

I think it’s all about getting used to not using social media. It’s a lifestyle change, and that’s a big decision. I decided to give myself 21 days social media free because apparently, after 21 days things become habit. I’m hoping that this will clear the gray fog that I have been surrounded in. I don’t want to have a negative outlook on society, I want to find the good in things and allow that to feed my positive mindset.

You know what they say: misery loves company. So I want to challenge you to go social media free for 21 days with me (if you can’t go 100% free, choose one account to keep). Hopefully after 21 days our misery will turn into happiness, and we will realize we don’t need to be dictated by our online personas.

If you can’t quit social media, try to change the conversation online. Spread positivity and understanding, treat those you encounter online (and in person) with respect. We need to change the topics and recognize that the world is a great place to be.

Journalism Major, Self-Proclaimed Comedian, Professional Dog Petter