Career

Why I Love Being a Writing Tutor

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePaul chapter.

Years ago, if you would have asked me about seeing a tutor I might have cringed and said “I don’t need help from a tutor!”. In grade school I knew many kids who had tutors, who would even have time slots out of their normal school days to learn about math or reading. Little did I know that I would one day become one of those kids. 

When I was in first grade, we had to take many literacy tests to be assessed on our overall reading skills and fluency. I struggled with reading at a normal speed and my comprehension time took longer than normal reading levels. Over the course of about a year or two, I had to meet with my literacy tutor and practice reading, while the other kids were learning about spaceships and the solar system. I felt defeated that I wasn’t able to keep up with reading tests and overall did not understand why I had to be sent to a tutor for reading, since I understood what the words meant. 

Another example of a time where I really struggled in high school was freshman geometry and I just could not understand problem sets and flowchart proofs. I could not grasp the concept of them, so I took it upon myself to meet with math tutors and teachers in our math lab to work on proofs tirelessly every day after school. Some days I even made my mom wait an extra 20-30 minutes to make sure I finished an assignment right. Those countless hours spent in the math lab had taught me the true value of tutors and seeking out help when I need it.

person using laptop at a desk
Photo by Christin Hume from Unsplash

The word “tutor” gets a bad rap because growing up if we’re told that we need a tutor, it means that we’re not smart enough to learn from our normal teacher and needed extra assistance with times tables or reading paragraphs out loud. Essentially, you were known by the third-grade class as that kid—tutored kids got no mercy in elementary school. 

Here were my past perceptions of tutoring: 

1. Seeing a tutor was only advised by your parents or teachers

2. Tutors were not available for kids with sufficient enough academic skills

3. Being tutored meant that you were not getting passing grades 

These perceptions come from what I’ve experienced during school. I remember teachers and parents emailing the principal’s office to arrange for tutors to take kids out of their daily lessons. I would always see them walking down the hall to the library where tutoring normally took place. To my knowledge, tutors were those who had higher than average ISAT or MAP scores and were figures to seek out for only raising your grades. 

Anna Schultz-Girl On Computer Stress
Anna Schultz / Her Campus

My family always wanted what was best for us academically, but we were never forced to see a tutor. I guess growing up with a family of teachers means that educating is in my blood, so I’m not surprised that I am currently a peer writing tutor at the DePaul University Center for Writing-based Learning

While tutoring in college might be far different from tutoring third-graders, I think the functions and benefits of tutoring can apply to any age-range in some cases. Tutoring was stigmatized as a handicap for people who needed help on certain subject areas when I was growing up, but being a tutor now has taught me that it is so much more

You Become a Better Student

Tutoring is not a one-way street. I think there’s an expectation that a tutor has to know everything, but in all honesty most of the time I have no idea about specific grammar rules, citations, or different writing genres like lab reports, for example. Everyday people come in with different work and there is always something to learn from these new ideas, perspectives, and skill levels. 

woman in a gray sweater taking notes on white paper
Anna Earl on Unsplash

For example, I had a writer who was aspiring to be a commencement speaker at graduation and was passionate about DePaul’s Vincentian mission. I came out of this sppech-developing session learning more about DePaul than I ever knew before! The writer was very well-equipped and shared his most valuable experiences during college, which made me very humble knowing how great our community is. 

You Meet New People 

One of the best parts of this job is the community we have built and the people I work with every day. Although I don’t get to see them in person at this time, I still feel more connected than ever. At the DePaul Writing Center, we establish a place of respect and inclusivity as one of our core values, and I could not be prouder to work in a place with a strong support system. 

Amelia Kramer-Coffee Shop Friend Date
Amelia Kramer / Her Campus

Your Writing Improves

You’ll find yourself Googling different writing rules, citation styles, resume conventions, until you are 99.99% sure you have taught it to yourself enough to advocate for it. It’s a reciprocated learning process and reading other people’s work is going to allow you to grow with your own writing. I was working on a copy editing project that was solely APA style, and having an updated edition, I had to double check everything I questioned. While challenging, I studied a new citation style and gained a new skill from it. 

Women budgeting/writing things on paper
Fresh Connection via Unsplash

I get to help people and leave every day knowing that I was able to give support where it was needed. I think one of the best tutoring experiences I have had so far was a writer who was not confident in their writing skills and abilities and ended up walking away more confident in his writing. He even continued to visit the writing center and made three appointments with me for other assignments.

Working at the writing center has allowed me to go beyond my own studies and immerse myself in the diverse ideas and stories out there. I became a writing tutor this year because I love to story tell. Storytelling has become a huge part of my academic and professional career, not only because I love to write, but I am constantly inspired by those who have stories to tell. 

a bunch of books
Patrick Tomasso on Unsplash

I have found the DePaul Writing Center to not only be a crucial resource for my writing skills and improvement, but a support system that has allowed me to grow within the position, and develop strong communicative and teaching skills because of it. Being able to work in a space that is just as passionate about writing as I am inspires me to learn more about this community that I am so grateful for at DePaul. 

Being a writing tutor allows you to grow and create strong relationships with your fellow peers.There have been many times where I doubted my own writing abilities and needed help, as well. Tutoring and being tutored goes hand in hand, and it goes to show that everyone could use a little support every once and while. I’ve become a better reader and a listener because I was able to confide in a support system that valued my own ideas and perceptions. So, I hope to reflect that insight and give support whereever I can when I get to help writers. It is humbling to know that DePaul writing tutors are there for you and I will always love being a writing tutor because of it. 

Make an appointment with me today! Visit our website, here

Natalie is currently a junior studying Public Relations and Advertising with a minor in Spanish and Event Planning. She is an avid beauty, interiors, and lifestyle enthusiast. When she's not doing yoga or obsessing over her golden retriever pup, you'll find her writing in the SAC, library, at the Stu, and basically, anywhere she can get good wifi connection at DePaul.