#Whitterview #8 Lentils and Lashes and Megan Hysaw

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePaul chapter.

Hello! Welcome back to my 8th #Whitterview. This time we’ll be getting to know Megan Hysaw, a food stylist from the Food Network. She is not only a Food God, but a Style and Travel God as well.

I envy every post she puts on Instagram. From her traveling experiences, her ability to whip up a drool worthy meal, or even her daily outfits. What do those kids say these days? Oh yeah, GOALS. Megan Hysaw IS GOALS.

Who is Megan? Tell everyone about yourself!

MH: “I was born and raised in Orange County, California. I am African American, Korean and Dominican. I learned Korean before English and am conversational in Spanish. Food has always been a major part of my life—it’s one of the many ways my family expressed love, and most of the traditions we followed and places we’d travel revolved around food.

Education and seeing the world has always been important to my family, as well. I went to USC for my undergraduate degree in Business Administration because I wasn’t exactly sure what I wanted to do; however, I did know that having an understanding of business translated to every industry. After college I thought I wanted to be a lawyer, and panicked when I got into law school. I would find peace in making my meals when I was studying for the LSAT, but thought nothing of it. One of my friends suggested I go to culinary school and that idea really hit home for me. I convinced my parents and went to the Culinary Institute of America at Greystone in Napa Valley.

My parents strived to raise me to be a well rounded person, and I would say they did a good job.  My life is very diverse, from who I am, to the friends I have, and my experiences. I’m very blessed.”

Lentils and Lashes is your Instagram and Blog Name- what is Lentils and Lashes?

MH: “Lentils and Lashes embodies who I am—it signifies food, beauty and wellness. Initially I was “With Love Megan,” due to my belief that everything should be done with love, especially cooking. One day I was running around New York grocery shopping and decided to come home to unload before heading back out. I was on the phone with my friend and told her to remind me to purchase “Lentils and Lashes,” and she laughed and said that would make a great blog name. And the rest is history.

Initially, I was going to wait until everything was perfect to launch my blog, but after thinking about it more, I felt it would be nice for people to see and be apart of my growth. It is my hope that Lentils and Lashes will one day be a go-to for modern and millennial-ized takes on classic dishes, as well as a place to learn non-conventional and oftentimes holistic approaches to beauty.”

In your instagram bio, you dub yourself a Food Stylist. What is that?

MH: “Food styling is the art of arranging food so that it looks tasty and fresh. This is important in a number of situations, particularly when the food is being photographed. For instance, the pictures of food that you see in cook books, magazines, advertisements, commercials and menus have all been styled. A food stylist sees the food from start to finish, which means oftentimes having to prepare and cook the food, as well.”

What do you do for work?

MH: “I’m a Food Stylist that works predominantly with Food Network. I also private chef for a few families and catered events. And without sounding like a douche, being an Instagram Influencer does pay some of the bills.”

Who is your fashion icon and your favorite chef?

MH: “My fashion icon is actually a fashion blogger named Camila Coelho. I’m obsessed. Her style is chic, fun, sexy and always on trend. I’ve never seen her wear an outfit that I didn’t like.

My favorite chef is Ina Garten! She is the queen mother to me. Whenever I’m looking up a new recipe, I always look to her first. Her dishes are always elegant, impressive, and always delicious.”

What’s your favorite meal to cook?

MH: “This is a hard question that I get asked all the time! My interests are always changing, so it’s hard to pinpoint one particular dish. Right now, I’ve recently perfected roasting chicken. I know that sounds basic, but having crispy skin, juicy meat, and all the flavors and textures well aligned is key.”

Do you have a recipe you can share for a simple/easy meal for someone that can’t cook?

MH: “The first one that comes to mind is a Cast Iron Steak. It’s super easy, tender, delicious, and it’s how most restaurants make their steaks.”

Ingredients: 1-1lb Rib Eye Steaks (1-1/2” thick) 1/4Cup Vegetable Oil 1 Bunch Rosemary 1 Bunch Thyme 4T Unsalted Butter

Method:

1. Pat steaks dry and season both sides liberally with salt and pepper, and let rest for approximately 30 minutes

2. Place 12” heavy bottomed cast iron skillet with oil on high heat until just smoking

3. Carefully add the steaks and cook until browned, about 2 minutes on both sides

4. Reduce heat to medium and add butter and herbs and continue cooking, flipping steaks occasionally and basting any light spots.

5. Continue to flip and baste steaks approximately every two minutes for about 7-9 minutes, until steaks are well browned and have an internal temperature of 120-125F (49-52C) for Medium Rare. If you prefer your steak cooked medium, continue cooking for another 1-2 minutes until the internal temperature reads 130F (54C).

6. Immediately place steak on large heatproof plate and pour juices over it and allow to rest for about 5-10 minutes. Carve into 1/2” slices and serve.

Check out more on lentilsandlashes.com

Your instagram is all travel, food, and fashion. What are your top threes? Travel and Fashion wise.

MH: “My top 3 places to visit are the UK, Japan, and Jamaica.

England is so fascinating to me because this little European island took over the world. Everything you’ve learned in history in school, essentially revolves around this magical place. History, culture, fashion, art, and even food here are some of my absolute favorites.

Japan is a world of it’s own. The people are so proud of their culture. There’s so much to do, so much to see, and so much to eat!

Jamaica is such a special place. The people are so incredibly kind. The water is so clear and blue and some of the warmest I’ve ever experienced. The food goes without saying. But it’s just so relaxing and embodies good vibes.

My favorite places to get my clothes are Zara and Revolve. I would say 90% of my outfits come from Zara, and I recently just started shopping on Revolve. Although it can be pricey, I think it’s important to spend a little more on quality and accumulating key pieces is how you build a strong closet.”

Public Relations student at DePaul University in Chicago. Minnesota grown. President of DePaul University Love Your Melon Campus Crew "I'm proud of the person I've become, because I fought to become her." Twitter & Instagram: @whitneywahlers