rodion kutsaev 8P uQaTd8rw unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
rodion kutsaev 8P uQaTd8rw unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePaul chapter.

Image Courtesy of LoveThisPic

Turning off

Shutting off anything and everything that distracts you can be a very difficult task for many including myself, but I don’t blame you. We all have responsibilities and jobs we have to attend to. However, once in a while we have to turn off the world and push it away from our mind and emotions. Once you get into the habit of turning it off every now and then, you’ll be able to block all noises and be in the silence of your own thoughts. WE are human, and we have to recharge like a battery or we’ll end up draining ourselves.  

Pampering Time

Our mind is our engine, we have to learn how to protect it from being consumed by so much negativity and stress. Escape the stress by giving yourself some self love and care, which can include pampering yourself physically, mentally, and emotionally. In other words, treat yourself! Recently, I have committed myself to the gym, yes the gym! As my progression continues, I have been feeling lighter and more stress-free coming off the treadmill or doing some yoga stretches.

Image Courtesy of Pinterest  

A less physical way to de-stress yourself and your thoughts is by reading your favorite book! I believe that letting your mind roam to a different world or a specific historical time period can get your mind off from your busy routine. I mean, I wouldn’t mind being the detective who’s looking for the million dollar prize! Everyone has a passion or a favorite activity to keep their minds off things. There are other ways you can pamper yourself: playing around with makeup, hearing favorite playlist, singing or just dancing around your room and pretending you’re Beyoncé can help your body let go of the “stress rays”. 

Image Courtesy of Pinterest

Nature

I also believe that being outside and enjoying the breeze or the sunshine can be an enormous help. Being by a sunny window can be a “bright” move when it comes to relaxing. Nature can be beautiful in one’s eyes if they were to take the time to observe it. As the fall season is arriving, we can see the different colors that are appearing in the trees, the cool, crisp air, and a sense of letting go is among us. Seeing the trees sway, sometimes makes me want to sway with them…calm and gentle. Grabbing a nice cup of tea can be a stress-free activity to do too. Finding a simple task to keep your mind off stressful responsibilities is a blessing even for just a few hours. All it takes is a little time to reflect and look for something that you love doing!

Doubts

It’s understandable that you have to use every single hour of the day to get all your homework and studying done. It may seem like you can’t find a time for yourself at all, but having at least an hour once or twice a week to yourself is not as hard as it seems. Trust me! After collecting your thoughts and relaxing a bit, it can be a miracle when typing an essay or finishing that PowerPoint or five-page paper. Self-love can be a powerful thing, which can also have you ready to conquer the day and the rest of the week!  

“Takes an hour of self-love to recharge your energy battery.”

Odalys Diaz

DePaul '21

I am a full time student fascinated by the world of makeup, hair, and many books! My love for nature has me outside just enjoying the air or taking walks to different destinations.