This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePaul chapter.

I recently made the tough decision to transfer to a state university closer to my home state. Many factors went into this decision, and it was not an easy choice to make. I have no hard feelings for my current university and it is bittersweet to not return to DePaul in the fall. I thought I would share some of the reasons that I finally agreed it was time to make a change.

A Sense of Loneliness

I felt myself over this year pulling away from putting an effort into making any friends. Any time I tried to put myself into a new social situation, I felt as if I did not fit in. I could not see myself completely being a part of the campus the way everyone else had.

A Real Case of FOMO

While everyone experiences some sense of FOMO at some point, whenever I saw pictures of people at this university, I really felt it should have been me. I always felt myself envying others at this college because it looked like a totally different experience compared to mine.

Lack of Rigorous Academics

I desired a different academic program – My classes here were enjoyable, and I felt that my professors were always willing to help me. I have always desired a rigorous curriculum, but within a larger academic setting. I feel that Rutgers Communication will better meet my desires than DePaul has been able to do.

Close to Family

Originally, thought I would enjoy being halfway across the country from my family. This year I realized how much I envied people who could go home very easily. It also is very expensive to go to college so far away, and being close to home would save a lot of money.

A Better Fit For Me

Ultimately, this school was just a better fit for me. The positives outweigh the negatives.

If a person is considering transferring, just know that the decision does not define you as a person. It is never too late to change your mind. The decision is in your hands, and no one can decide for you.

Hi! My name Georgia Coriell and I am sophomore at DePaul. I am studying Communication and Media with a minor in Television Production. In my free time, I enjoy watching Netflix, listening to music, writing, and taking photos.