This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePaul chapter.

This weekend, February 10-12, Student Center room 120 AB will be home to DePaul’s 2017 production of The Vagina Monologues, a piece of performance activism striving to promote the discussion of real world topics and issues regarding women and any human beings with vaginas in a comfortable, welcoming, empowering, and artistic setting. It hopes to advocate for the initiation of conversation regarding violence and maltreatment of any individual with a vagina. This year’s show is orchestrated by The Women’s Center, The Theatre School, and The Office of Health Promotion and Wellness, and will raise funds and awareness for a plethora of amazing non for profits, primarily The Rape Victims Advocates, A Long Walk Home, and Take Back The Halls. The fun starts at 7:30 pm for both Friday and Saturday shows, and 2:30 pm for Sunday. Here to present us with an inside scoop of the show is Molly Murray, who will be doing the opening skit and presenting a variety of performances all weekend long:

Historically, the Vagina Monologues intend to showcase which areas in society need more attention and possible improvement, specifically the stories and perspectives of women and children. It attempts to reflect on what are the flaws that impede their growth and which positives are benefiting their experience exponentially. Is there anything DePaul’s take on The Vagina Monologues is doing to further this goal?

Molly: Yes, absolutely. We are aiming a huge focus on intersectionality, thus broadening the people we reach to make sure everyone and anyone’s voices and stories are heard.  

Have you ever performed or been in the audience for The Vagina Monologues before?

Molly: This is my first year on stage, but I did see the show my Freshman year. What has been really different these past two years is that DePaul students have been given the opportunity to perform their own original pieces along with work from the original catalogue that was produced for the very first show. I remember being so ecstatic about seeing DePaul supporting its students with talking candidly about their own personal bodies and experiences, and now I get to be a part of it and it is so exciting!

What inspired you to audition for this year’s Vagina Monologues?

Molly: So I am a Performance Studies minor, and I promised myself I would do everything on my DePaul Senior Bucket List, and since auditioning and participating in The Vagina Monologues was on the list, I made myself go to auditions.

How has the process of perfecting lines and rehearsing for the show been like for you?

Molly: We have been practicing for around a month and a half – since the first week of winter quarter. We are all memorized, but it was definitely tricky to get it down – especially with it being a group piece. We would memorize our own lines individually and then figure out how to make those lines fit in with the others’ parts with good flow and timing. Making our conversation sound smooth and natural was critical.    

Fun Facts about Molly:

What She’s Studying:

I am majoring in Communication Studies, and then I have a double minor in Performance Studies and Literary Studies.

Hometown:

Massapequa, New York

Thin Crust or Deep Dish?

THIN CRUST NEW YORK STYLE ALL THE WAY

Favorite Food?

I absolutely New York Bagels. Specifically New York ones.

Involvement in Extracurriculars and Student Leadership:

Alright, so there’s a list. I am president of RHC, I am an Office Assistant for New Student and Family Engagement. In the past I was an orientation leader and a Chicago Quarter Mentor.

What did you name your pupper and why?

His name is Tarzan because he is completely uncivilized. He’s a little shih tzu. He’s a good boy. Sometimes…  

The Sorting Hat Would Place You In:

Hufflepuff. I’ve taken about 20 quizzes and they’re all Hufflepuff.

Current Obsessions:

I love Top Chef. I am deep into Top Chef.

Marta Leshyk

DePaul '20

Aspiring high school English teacher who hopes to help students learn to love and value themselves the way an old friend once helped her. Loves cats immensely, and enjoys iced coffee in the dead of winter. Is the proud daughter of immigrants, and learned English from Elmo, the ultimate PBS scholar.