“I’M PREGNANT” And Ways To Never Have To Speak These Words

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePaul chapter.

Condoms

Okay yeah, so this is the obvious one, but still. Let’s not forget it. Male condoms average at about 85% effective, and the only reason it is not considered over 99% effective is because of human error. SO, if used perfectly there is a less than 1% that you would get prego. A lesser known form of condoms is female condoms. Yes ladies, take control of the situation and get that condom for yourself! Female condoms are on average 79% effective and 95% effective if used perfectly.  Plus, with female condoms, you will have better peace of mind in the situation knowing that you provided the conception for yourself.

Image found here

Low Responsibility Methods

This next form of birth control is relatively new: Low Responsibility Methods. They’re super practical as many of these will be administered by a doctor and left inside you for several years. They are over 99% effective, so there is basically no chance of getting pregnant. Low Responsibility Methods usually refer to three methods: IUD, Birth Control Implant, and the Depo Shot.

An IUD is placed inside the cervix by your doctor and usually lasts up to 3-12 years. This is birth control method is a one-and-done, so you go into your gynecologist’s office and request it, and once it’s put in, BAM! Safe sex for years!

A Birth Control Implant is a small bar that goes under the skin in your arm and continuously releases hormones for up to three years. Once again, it needs to be put inside you by a gynecologist. Once it’s in, you’re good to go. All the safe sex you could want for years!

A Depo Shot is a special shot that you would receive from a doctor or nurse every 3 months. This method works very well (94%) if it’s received on time. This is also a hormonal method, like an IUD, continuously releasing the good stuff.

Image found here

Daily Methods

These are probably amongst the most commonly prescribed birth control methods. These must be used or changed on a daily or weekly basis. This makes them slightly less reliant because there is much more room for human error.

The Patch is a dermal patch that you place on the skin of your butt, stomach, or shoulder. Your body will topically absorb hormones through your skin for an entire week. The Patch should be changed on the same day every week and is 91% effective due to real-life challenges and human error.

The Vaginal Ring is put into your vagina once a month. And yes, you do put it in all by yourself.  It releases hormones that are absorbed into your vagina that are necessary for preventing pregnancy. It is also about 91% effective due to human error of putting it incorrectly or not putting it in on the correct date.

The Birth Control Pill is probably among the most common method of birth control. It’s simply a pill that must be taken at the same time every day. It is a hormonal method and is about 91% effective due to human error. And with each pill that is missed, the chance of pregnancy grows greater and greater.

Image found here

Lifestyle Methods

These methods have no medical intervention and just need to be apart of how you live your life. These aren’t for those who are not good at keeping track of schedule or are inexperienced.

The Pull Out Method is when a man removes his penis from the vagina before ejaculation. The theory is that if the sperm doesn’t enter the vagina, then voila, no pregnancy. But there is the issue of pre-cum which means that if the man has recently ejaculated, leftover sperm may slip out. Yikes. This method is 78% effective for obvious reasons. You must have full trust in your partner for this method as the control is completely up to them.

Fertility Tracking involves tracking your menstrual cycle so you’ll know when your ovaries release an egg every month. You have to be very dedicated and aware of your own body in order for this method to work. This method is only about 76% effective.

Last but certainly not least, there’s Abstinence. Ah yes, back to high school sex-ed class where we are bombarded with “you can’t get pregnant if you don’t have sex. HA.”

Well, I mean…no shit.

But, there is plenty that can be done pleasure and intimacy wise without a penis entering a vagina. This includes oral, anal, handjobs, fingering, and of course, dry humping. For many people, abstinence means no sexual acts whatsoever, but for the sake of this article, it simply means ways of pleasure with zero chance of pregnancy. This method is 100% effective.

Image found here

Don’t forget to consult with a doctor on what methods would work best for you!

For more information please visit: https://www.plannedparenthood.org/learn/birth-control

be the voice.