Wellness

How to Come Out of This Quarter as a Better Version of Yourself

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePaul chapter.

Spring has officially commenced, and that means your schedule will soon fill up with endless readings, papers, and other non-academic responsibilities. For most people, spring is a time for change and reinvention – the sun’s out, people are leaving their houses to soak up nearby sceneries, and you’re ready to see the best and most productive parts of yourself. While you handle your academic and social responsibilities, here are few ways to help you become your best self.

Set up a workout routine

While school life can get pretty overwhelming, having a consistent workout schedule can help you prevent the severity of any potential funks. Working out produces endorphins that can uplift your mood and keep you from feeling unproductive, even on your least busy days. Going to the gym even while working through my busy schedule leaves me feeling more productive and energetic after – encourage yourself to hop on that elliptical!

Start journaling every day, and not just when you’re feeling joyless

One of the habits I’ve learned to create a part of my daily routine is journaling every day, and not just when it’s necessary. Even if it’s a short entry, you’re still practicing dedication and learning discipline, while documenting moments of happiness that you can look back on when you’re feeling low.

Set goals for every week, not just the quarter

A helpful way to stay motivated is to set social, emotional, and academic goals for each week rather than an entire quarter. For example, every Sunday night I sit down and write out what I’m hoping to start internalizing by the end of the week. If I’ve been feeling insecure lately, I’ll set a goal to stop looking at every reflective surface I pass and unnecessarily criticize myself. If I’m behind on future assignments, I’ll decide to space out tasks and finish writing the three papers I have due the upcoming week. By setting goals each week rather than the whole quarter, you’re assigning yourself smaller tasks that will have bigger results by the time you’re done!

If you’re not doing at least one fun thing a week, you’re not taking care of yourself

If there’s anything this past quarter has taught me, it’s that taking care of yourself is a priority and not just something to fit into your schedule when you’re not swamped with work. Once a week, I force myself to go into the city and explore without thinking about the homework I have to get done. For an hour or two, block out your responsibilities and let yourself have fun! It’ll re-energize you and ultimately lead you to doing your best work later.

Find someone who can hold you accountable

Something my therapist told me before I headed head-first into Spring Quarter was that finding someone who can hold you accountable to your goals is really beneficial. Sending a text as simple as, “Hey, I’m trying to work out three times a week and just need someone to check in with me and see how I’m doing – would you be willing to do that for me?” can be a huge factor in determining whether you follow through with your goals or not. Your friends care about you and are more than likely to say yes!

Lastly, remember that you’re more than capable of making this quarter your best

People are constantly working to improve themselves (in a healthy way) and enhance their skills, and they’re succeeding! You are just as capable and deserving of feeling like your best-self – go crush this quarter.

Ria Bhagwat

DePaul '22

Ria is a sophomore at DePaul University studying Journalism with a minor in Communication + Media & Global Asian Studies. In her free time, she loves to write, sing, dance, listen to Taylor Swift, and watch Broadway musicals.