This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePaul chapter.

Around this time of year, there is lots of good food, good friends, and memories. However, this is also the time of year where it seems like the sun is out for two hours and the temperatures drop. I find my seasonal depression spiking, and it gets harder and harder to get out of bed each morning. While mental illness can be a tough thing to deal with, here are some tips to help ease with seasonal depression:

Exercise

Find the workout that is right for you, not the one that burns the most calories, but the one that feels right. If you like dancing, try zumba! If you’re into a more zen workout, there’s yoga. I like to wake up every morning and go for a jog. I find it is my only point in the day where I can just enjoy my own company and clear my head.

Find Energy Boosting Food

Ok, ok, ok. I like pizza as much as the next person, but what you probably don’t like is the crash you get afterwards. High fat and high carb meals can lead to slumps in my mood. Try foods like oats, eggs, cheese, pineapple, tofu, or nuts. These foods boost serotonin and help you mood spike! Also you won’t feel that 9 p.m. food coma.

Write

Get your feelings onto paper, rather than just thinking about them over and over again. This can help get them out of your head momentarily as well as better understand them.

Essential Oils

They make tonnssss of essential oils to boost your mood. Try a few out, or find a smell that makes you happy. I find that waking up to a nice smelling room encourages me to get out of bed rather than sleep all day.

Hydrate

Drinking water is known to reduce stress amongst other things like weight loss, having healthy skin, or clearing toxins from your body. I try to drink around 3 liters a day, and I can definitely see a difference in my mood.

Hi! My name Georgia Coriell and I am sophomore at DePaul. I am studying Communication and Media with a minor in Television Production. In my free time, I enjoy watching Netflix, listening to music, writing, and taking photos.