samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

8 Ways to Get Out of the Finals Week Slump

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePaul chapter.

Whether you love it or hate it, some universities like DePaul operate on a 10 week quarter system, so we get to have another two weeks of chugging projects and essays to get through before sweet summertime descends upon us. The month of May is typically when a lot of people’s motivation to work and get things done kind of loses momentum, something I have definitely felt.

I realize that there are many finals week related articles out there, but another little reminder and nudge in the right direction on how not to crash and burn before school ends wouldn’t hurt, am I right?

1. Chill out and take more breaks in between studying

The best way to keep motivated is to prevent burnout when everything comes down on you all at once. Make sure to treat yourself and remember that it’s only a test!

2. Focus on one subject at a time

A study tip I find helpful is to divide work up into their own time slots. Work on your statistics homework Monday, type a couple pages of your religion paper Tuesday, and then work on any other projects Wednesday. Organization makes the workload seem lighter and the focus is more centered on one thing.

Link: Url

3. Do something active like yoga or running

Sitting in the library until 3 am on a Saturday doesn’t seem like the best way to exercise your mind or your body, so get some blood pumping and take time to refresh and care about yourself and not obsess over tests or assignments for just a little while.

Link: Url

4. Work outside to change up your work environment

It can be a little repetitive to study in the same place, so sometimes a new work environment like outside at a picnic table or a new corner in the library might change up motivation to work and better the process of studying.  

5. Visit an animal shelter or pet a Lincoln Park Dog

Animals are the best stress relievers, and Chicago is known for its abundance of furry friends! Visit a cat cafe or find a dog park to pet some friendly animals and get away from all the college madness!

Link: Url

6. Feed yourself with good food

The Stu can become a total drag during finals week and a Sabroso burrito doesn’t sound like the most appetizing before a midnight cram. Treat and reward yourself for all the hard work you’re doing. For some, Domino’s pizza sounds really good.

Link: Url

7. Be social and hang out with people

It’s easy to isolate yourself when cramming in a mammoth workload, but make time for other people and just talking to a friend can relieve the stress of exams.

8. Call your mom

Let your mother know what you’ve been up to and don’t forget to keep in touch with your family while school picks up in the final weeks. You’ll most likely be moving out soon, so it’s best to keep them in touch during finals week as well. Plus, your mother loves you so you oughta.

Link: Url

Natalie is currently a junior studying Public Relations and Advertising with a minor in Spanish and Event Planning. She is an avid beauty, interiors, and lifestyle enthusiast. When she's not doing yoga or obsessing over her golden retriever pup, you'll find her writing in the SAC, library, at the Stu, and basically, anywhere she can get good wifi connection at DePaul.