7 Things That Happen When You Attend an Out of State University

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePaul chapter.

1. No one knows your hometown.

Whether is a city of 100,000 people or 500, unless it’s the capital of your state, chances are people are not going to know it.

2. No one gets your slang.

There are certain phrases that people from outside your state just don’t get. Coming from the south, chances are you are going to have to explain something about every other sentence.

3. You don’t get their slang.

I will never get used to calling soda, “pop”. Nope, never.

4. Homesickness

Seeing all your friends going home every other weekend and hanging out at all your favorite places will for sure make you sad at some point. What is most important; however, is not letting this get to you. The best way to do this is…

5. Spending time getting used to your new home state.

Explore your knew home! Whether than means walking around your neighborhood, exploring a cool area in your town, or taking a weekend trip to another part of your state. You are surrounding by a new and exciting place, so be sure to take advantage of it!

6. Making all new friends, and losing some old ones

If you go to an out of state university, you probably don’t know many people there. This provides an awesome opportunity to reinvent yourself and make new friends. However, as you begin to hand out with new people and find new interests, inevitably some of your hometown friends will fall to the wayside. This is okay! Friends change over time, it is totally natural.  

7. Bravery and confidence you never knew you had.

Above all, when you go to an out of state university you gain a bravery and confidence you never knew you had. You moved hours away, by yourself. That is incredible! Every moment in your new state you will learn new things about yourself and become a stronger and more developed person. So embrace your new state and university- you are who you are because of it!

SaveSave

SaveSave