free to use sounds kOuCX7fh50U unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
free to use sounds kOuCX7fh50U unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Career

5 Reasons To Want an Internship as a College Student

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePaul chapter.

Finding and securing an internship can give a lot of college students anxiety. We have classes, part time jobs, club meetings, sports, and friends as our main priorities. I put off finding an internship until the last moment because I didn’t want to think about growing up and being in the professional world. But, I eventually secured one, and I can tell you with full certainty that it’s worth it…especially as a student.

1. It’s not that scary. Really! If you’ve had a part-time job before, then you already know what to expect! The interviewing process takes practice, but once you’ve secured an internship, it becomes second nature to go into the office every week. It’s also fun and prepares you for life after college. 

Gif

2. Usually, internships are flexible and work with your schedule. If an internship gives you school credit, then they definitely understand that you are a student and have other responsibilities. Meet with your school advisor to create a class schedule that gives you free time to add an internship!

Image

3. As a student, working as an intern has its benefits. You have a great chance to meet professionals and network. Sometimes, the company you intern for can make you a campus ambassador for their brand! Not to mention the freebies and discounts you can get (and need!) as a student. 

Gif

4. You have a chance to see the “behind the scenes” of the real world and experience being a working professional. You can go to meetings and not feel pressured to talk. You are able to shadow people and see how they work. Being able to ask your colleagues about their lives and their time management can help you gauge what your life could look like after graduation, so make sure to use them to your benefit! 

Image

5. Having an internship can be the gateway to your a full-time job. You have lots of people who can mentor you and help you secure a job after graduation. Sometimes, that company will even hire you when your internship is complete! 

Gif

Now that you’ve read my take-always of internships, I urge you to find one for yourself! Although it may seem scary, there are ways to make finding one easier on you. At DePaul, we use Handshake, which is a tool that helps you find jobs and professionals to connect with. Search DePaul’s databases for internships that fit your preferences. Go to the Career Center and look on job boards. I promise that once you secure one, you will not be let down. In fact, it might be the driving force that makes you excited about graduation and the professional world!