This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePaul chapter.

It is a new year and everyone is forming their resolutions in hopes to better themselves.  Having a hard time making a list? Try out a few of these tips, and hey, you’ll be saving the planet along the way!

Reusable stuff!

In case you haven’t heard, 91% of plastic isn’t recycled.  Because of its mass production and the amount of time it takes to degrade (400 years!), most of the plastic that you put in recycling bins ends up in landfills and the ocean. So, limiting your use of plastic anything is a good start to preserving the Earth.  Implementing reusable water bottles and grocery bags is an easy way to become more eco-friendly.  Not having to buy plastic water bottles or plastic bags (many states now have a “bag-bill”) will save you a ton of money in the long run!  

Go digital!

There are so many ways to reduce your use of paper. There are countless ways to get bills, tuition statements, and paychecks online. Doing so also makes them easier to keep track of!  You can also try getting into the habit of getting receipts emailed or texted to you. Now, if your coursework is anything like mine, you probably have upwards of 20-30 pages of readings every day. You could save paper (and printer money!) by reading the pdf online and taking notes in a word doc. It may take some getting used to if you’re used to the paper/pencil technique, but you’re planet and wallet will thank you.  

No More To-Go!

Taking your dinner home with you can be convenient, but often times that includes paper bags, plastic silverware, and a whole lot of packaging that just isn’t necessary. Try staying in the dining hall to eat and use the washable plates and silverware. Some schools may be iffy on bringing your own tupperware, however, some encourage it! Many universities are offering reusable takeout containers that can be returned to the dining hall to be washed. Bringing this up to your school’s officials would be a great way to get involved and make a difference on campus!

Thrifting!

Every college kids guide to favorite shopping hack just got better! Shopping second-hand is great for the environment. If you catch yourself buying first-hand a little too much, just to only wear an item once, you should consider donating some of your clothes to a Goodwill or Salvation Army. Then, if you’re in the need for a wardrobe change, check out one of those thrift stores first — you never know what you might find!

Wash Less, Save More!

Doing laundry is normally the last thing I want to do. It’s time consuming, and some campuses even make you pay per load! If you ever feel like you’re doing laundry too much, you probably are. You really don’t need to wash your clothes after every use. Save water and energy by only washing visibly dirty clothes or workout gear. Save even more energy by using cold water and only washing full loads of laundry.  

Grace Jacques is a PR & Advertising Major at DePaul University.  When not writing for Her Campus, you can find her fundraising for Ann and Robert H. Lurie Children's Hospital, marching in Grant Park, or enjoying The Frenchie at Cheesie's Pub and Grub.