5 Easy Tips ‘n’ Tricks to Stay Fit

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePaul chapter.

Classes, homework, and internships, oh my! Balancing school and fitness is an incredibly difficult feat for any student, especially when Insomnia Cookies has free delivery. Here are five tips and tricks to keep you motivated and fit- even after first quarter!

1. Study break! Do some research on your local gym. Most colleges have a gym on campus or at least nearby with plenty of classes and flexible hours. Depending on your schedule, try to work out 2-4 times a week.The Ray Meyer Fitness Center at DePaul has a wide variety of classes (including zumba, pilates, and yoga!) all included in your tuition. More information and class schedules can be found here.

1. Your new best friend: My Fitness Pal (https://www.myfitnesspal.com/). While the student center has greasy filled goodness (looking at you, Brownstones donuts), be wary of how hungry you actually are! My Fitness Pal is an app that tracks your calorie intake and sets up a daily goal customized to your body. You can also input any exercise and it’ll adjust your calorie goals for the day.

1. Shake up your social media! Find your fitness heroes on instagram or twitter to stay motivated throughout the week. My personal fave is Cassey Ho, creator of Blogilates  on YouTube. You can also make an instagram account specifically for fitness- fill it with post workout selfies, workout clothing hauls, and inspirational quotes! The fitness instagram community is super motivating and positive.

1. Snack it out. When the Ranch french fries craving is real in between classes, aim for a healthier and more filling snack to keep you motivated throughout the day. Fruit, veggies, and trail mix are great options, Trader Joe’s or Whole Food’s has an awesome variety of any of these snacks! My go to snacks are dried mango and lemon zest luna bars (they’re like little bites of heaven).

1. Join the hydration nation! Drink water. This last tip may sound super simple, but drinking water is very important. Water keeps us energized, refreshed, and alert so we can feel prepared in classes or when we’re working out. Getting a cute water bottle can be an awesome reminder and tool to stay hydrated throughout the day! Don’t like the taste? Try out a water bottle with an infuser to make some lemon or berry flavored H2O! Here are some great recipes!

While these are some tips, they are not at all rules. Get to know yourself and what works best for you. Stay healthy, stay beautiful, stay you!

Freshman Lighting Design Major in The Theatre School at DePaul University. Passionate about people, obsessed with musical theatre, and on the quest to find the best bowl of pho in the Midwest.
Michelle is a third year Secondary Education English student at DePaul University that enjoys sarcasm, laughing at cats on the internet, and forgetting to wear her glasses to class.