This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePaul chapter.

Midterms are here, and I know that I do my best studying in a cute café with some good background music and a strong coffee by my side. And if you’re like me, your life revolves around coffee. Call it unhealthy, but without my cup o’ joe in the morning, I’m in a slump for the rest of the day. Lately, I’ve developed a pickiness- one that Starbucks just can’t satisfy- for really good, unique, yet still affordable coffee. It may seem like my standards are high, but Chicago’s coffee scene does not disappoint. Not to mention- it’s cold out, and sometimes all you need to warm up is a steaming brew. So I’ve brought together my personal favorites for you to try- no thanks necessary.

5. Bourgeois Pig -Lincoln Park

The Lowdown: Most DePaul students have heard of or been to Bourgeois Pig because of their great coffee and sandwiches. Originally, “The Pig” and its sandwich counterpart “The Scarlet Pumpernickel” were two separate cafes. Now combined into The Bourgeois Pig Cafe, you can head in for a great coffee and sandwich. Bourgeois Pig offers classic European style coffee- simple and strong, the way it should be. Where Buzz Killer Espresso (mentioned later) is a modern and airy space to work, Bourgeois is the perfect place to get your creative juices flowing, decked out with curious antiques. 

My favorites: Macchiato: This little shot of java is bold and just a tad bitter, in the best kind of way.

Downsides: Their drinks are no-frills, so don’t come here for a Pumpkin-Spice-Cinnamon Roll-Latte.

Online rating: 4.2/5

My coffee rating: 4.2/5

My study space rating: 4.7/5

4. Osmium Coffee Bar –Lakeview

The Lowdown: Osmium Coffee Bar sells the famous Dark Matter coffee- bold, strong, and perfect for coffee-drinkers who love a stimulating kick to their roast. Located in a unique, old industrial building, the café features steampunk art and a backyard space that hosts local musicians and small improv shows. My squad ventured there specifically for an improv show we saw advertised. We had a great time sipping bold java and watching the show, which turned out to be hilarious great night out. Not to mention, a few members of the very small audience gave away free Lollapalooza tickets, which was pretty great (but I can’t promise that’ll happen to you). 

My favorites: The Mayan Mocha was spicy and really strong, with notes of Vietnamese cinnamon, dry Mexican cayenne, agave nectar and African Tikal chocolate sauce combined with steamed milk and three shots of espresso.

Downsides: Not for the faint of heart. I generally love spice, but my Mayan Mocha had a kick I wasn’t expecting which might not please everyone. Go here when you need that surge of caffeine that doesn’t play around.

Online rating: 4.9/5 (wow)

My coffee rating: 4.4/5

My study space rating: 4.6/5

3. Buzz Killer Espresso

The Lowdown: Located in the trendy shopping area of Wicker Park, Buzz is the ideal study space. It has plenty of seating in its modern café and serves the dreamiest espresso. Where other cafés deliver old-fashioned, classic roasts, Buzz offers the most contemporary and exclusives coffees from around the globe. They sell exotic Kenyan and Ethiopian coffee, just to name a couple. This will definitely be my go-to study spot for Midterms week because of its well-lit, productive seating areas and its robust coffee. 

My favorites: The latte- plan, simple, good coffee. Add sugar or don’t, because its good either way.

Downsides: Again, this café’s drinks are no-frills, basic beverages.

Online rating: 4.5/5

My coffee: 4.5/5

My study space rating: 4.9/5 

2. Ipsento

The Lowdown: The name Ipsento derives from two Latin roots and translates to “self-discovery.” You can definitely do some discovering at Ipsento, which is known for its specialty seasonal roasts- Ipsento is basically the opposite of mainstream. Doing some research on Ipsento, I saw quite a few reviewers name Ipsento coffee “liquid crack” (I’ll let you decide on that). If you’re lucky, you’ll snag a seat in their warm, colorful little café, which is always playing some cool tracks in the background. Overall, the employees are friendly, the space is vibrant, and the coffee is addictive. 

My favorites: The Ipsento is not only the café but a drink itself- espresso, milk, coconut milk, honey and a little bit of cayenne creates a creamy coffee with a little kick. The Nutella Latte is just as beautiful as it sounds- a velvety latte with just the right dose of Nutella to linger on your taste buds. Yep- it’s that good. 

Downsides: I can’t deny- this café is small. There just isn’t much seating. But, if you do find a seat, I get the feeling you could be glued there for at least an hour because of the great atmosphere. It would be a cool study spot.

Online Rating: 4.7/5

My coffee rating: 4.75/5

My study space rating: 4.2/5

1.The Wormhole

The Lowdown: I love The Wormhole. This place took a theme and ran with it. If you like Star Wars, Super Mario, Back to the Future, or any other generally nerdy, awesome stuff, this place is for you. All the drinks have quirky names, like the TriForce Espresso. The space itself is usually large enough to grab a good spot, so grab a peanut butter KoopaTroopa latte and flop down on the couch to play some NES on their vintage television, or study under their super hipster 80s posters. Don’t forget to wear your classic Reeboks with an oversized sweater from the thrift shop and bring your MacBook Pro. Added bonus: it’s open until 11pm daily, so it’s perfect for a late night study cram with a great drink. 

My favorites: Everything Nice is a unique melody of Indian Sarsaparilla combined with fresh chai and hints of root beer in a latte. It’s not coffee, but still- look at it. The Honey Bear Latte is a creamy latte with a sweet honey flavor. It’s great to warm you up on a cool fall or winter day.

Downsides: Some online reviewers reported some snobby employees, but I’ve never had this problem.

Online Rating: 4.5/5

My rating: 4.8/5

My study space rating: 4.5/5

DePaul Freshman. Writer. Food and book lover.