10 Celebrity Couples That Met on Screen, That Make Me Think You Can Talk to Your Campus Crush

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePaul chapter.

In a world where some celebrity couples started off in the dms, there were couples before that who met on screen. Amid the news of Joe Jonas and Sophie Turner’s divorce we should still believe in love even though I thought their Morticia and Gomez Addams love would be taken to the grave. Even though they’re no longer together it doesn’t mean you shouldn’t believe in talking to your campus crush, especially since the semester just started.

1. Ryan Reynolds and Blake Lively

Obviously they have to be first, sorry not sorry. The Gossip Girl alum and Deadpool actor met in 2010 while filming DC’s Green Lantern. They didn’t start dating until 2011, got married in 2012 and had four daughters, welcoming their youngest in February. The couple is known for their iconic relationship like the way Reynolds posts Lively is now a term of endearment for many couples, how they gush about each other when they’re asked about one another. Their super close friendship with Taylor Swift is so iconic that the singer named character’s in her song Betty after the couple’s children, calling my bestie right now we’re doing that besides our kids being besties in the future.

Even though both partners were in iconic couples before *cough Penn Bagely and ScarJo,* They show us that maybe we shouldn’t text our bad situationship back. The couple will forever be known as Hollywood royalty and that’s the only royal couple I’ll be following till the end of time. 

2. JLo and Ben Affleck

Do you know the love story of Bennifer? The on again off again couple met while filming Gigli (I know I’ve never heard of it either) in 2001. They got engaged in 2002 and planned their wedding to be in 2003 but postponed it due to the excessive attention the couple was getting from the media but called it off in 2004. Even though it took the couple over 17 years to get back together in 2021, they got re-engaged 20 years later in 2022 and married shortly after. It shows that Hollywood fairytales do exist but we haven’t found our Ben Affleck yet, and no it’s not the situationship that you’re on again-off again with, it’s most definitely not them. 

3. Freddie Prinze Jr. and Sarah Michelle Geller

I always knew Fred and Daphne would be end game, but make it IRL. Prinze and Geller might keep their life out of the public eye but the stylish couple has been together since the 2000s. They might’ve met in 1997 while filming I Know What You Did Last Summer but the couple started dating in 2000 and got engaged in 2001, marrying in 2002. The couple have two children together, a son and a daughter. They starred in Scooby-Doo and Scooby-Doo Monsters Unleashed together playing Fred Jones and Daphne Blake of Mystery Inc. That style influencer on campus and her boyfriend have nothing on them.

4. Ryan Gosling and Eva Mendes 

He is Kenough! Gosling and Mendes are another celeb couple that live a very private life but they’re another couple that met on screen, meeting on set of The Place Beyond the Pine. Even though they aren’t married, the couple has been together since 2011, they share two daughters together. Do we not remember his “E” necklace in Barbie font while touring for Barbie? He even promoted Mendes’ sponge line while on tour with the Barbie crew and Mendes wore Gosling’s face on her t-shirt, they’re just like us supporting our partners whenever we can. 

5. Kelly Ripa and Mark Consuleos 

Talk show host and Riverdale alumni (so sad this chaotic show ended, the memes will too) met on set of All My Children in 1995, eloping in 1996. The couple have three kids together and even have their own talk show together! LIVE with Kelly and Mark airs on ABC, if I had a show with my significant other that’d be my dream job. 

6. Zendaya and Tom Holland

The couple of our generation really, when I saw the scene in Spider-Man No Way Home when Peter Parker sees MJ at the coffee shop after everything happens and she doesn’t remember him I CRIED but remembered it’s only a movie. We can assume that Zendaya and Holland met on the set of NWH because they started dating in/ around November 2021.

In his Insta story for Zendaya’s birthday last week Holland seemed to have gotten tips from Ryan Reynolds on how to make a birthday post for his girlfriend.

7. Rob McElhenney and Kaitlin Olson

Funny story, Olson was hired onto It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia by McElhenny and around the second season he started to develop a crush on her. They started dating in 2006, got married in 2008 and have two kids together. Olson went into labor at the Phillies game and what screams Philadelphia pride more than going into labor at the Phillies game? 

Fun fact: McElhenney and Ryan Reynolds are besties who together own Wrexham AFC, a soccer team in Wales.

8. Goldie Hawn and Kurt Russell 

Who could ever forget about THE Goldie Hawn? A queen and so is her daughter Miss. Kate Hudson anyway! The couple first met while filming The One and Only, Genuine, Original Family Band in 1966, but became involved after reconnecting on the set of Swing Shift. They started dating on Valentine’s Day 1983, split for a brief period in 2000 and 2004 but got back together. The couple may not be married and don’t plan on getting married but they’re one of those couples who’ve been together long enough to fly by without getting married. Like the couple you’re friends with that live together and adopts you as “their child” for the school year.

9. Megan Fox and MGK

Do they still wear the rings with thorns? This was a couple that I had no idea how they met but it was on a film they were in together (I also thought it was through Kourtney Kardashian and Travis Barker), Midnight in Switchgrass. The couple has put us through a roller coaster of emotions with them leaving us to wonder when they’re together and apart. Most recently they were photographed and Fox wore a hair clip that (assuming was aimed towards the paparazzi) said “F* Off.” I would wear that on the train with my headphones tbh. 

10. Dax Shepard and Kirsten Bell

I’m making an exception for these two, even though they didn’t meet on set they have five movies together. The couple announced their engagement in 2010 but delayed their marriage until the state of California passed legislation on same-sex marriages. Bell asked Shepard to marry him via X, formerly known as Twitter, honestly if my significant other did that I would marry him over X (is that even possible). They’re super down to earth and make me believe that love is so real even in the simplest forms. 

Maybe after this instead of dreading love you’ll find your campus crush and ask him over X to meet you for coffee at Philz or a coffee shop around campus. While one chapter may come to a close for one couple, remember all of the celebrities that have chapters open and keep trying, especially the JLo and Ben Affleck chapter. 

Hanna Lopez is a senior at DePaul University. She is a journalism major with a minor in television, radio and media. Before writing for Her Campus she wrote for Spoon University Her Campus's food publication as a national writer. She wrote reviews, a lot of how-to’s and even interviewed TikTok Foodie Faith Christensen on becoming TikTok famous and where she got her inspiration from because all of her recipes look super tasty. Outside of writing for Her Campus, Hanna has her own radio show on DePaul's radio station. A coffee enthusiast and barista (shocking), she loves trying different coffee places around Chicago. In her off time she likes going out with her boyfriend trying different breakfast diners around the suburbs. She has been a guest on WGN’s radio show with Lisa Dent and has an interest in political journalism and criminology. As the Campus Correspondent for HC at DePaul Hanna’s goal is for members to know they are making a difference not only on campus and writing for HC at DePaul but also outside of school. She hopes to show members that everyone in the chapter is valued and wants to make sure they know that HC at DePaul will always be inclusive student media!