What it is Like to Be in a Sorority as a Low-Income Student

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Denison chapter.

Going to an expensive liberal arts college isn’t the only strain on my wallet — some would say that being in a sorority is unnecessary, so why would I even take the chance?

That’s where I’ll stop your argument. You see, I believe that although people might have different circumstances, they should still have equal opportunity. So, whenever someone brings up this notion, I find it hard to believe that I cannot “do it all” as they say. I set unrealistic expectations of myself, and find that I can be hard on myself, especially financially. So, when going through recruitment last fall, I had to sum up my experiences with this: Is it worth it?

The answer was not as simple as I thought.

I am a person who values diversity, and at a primarily white institution of the liberal arts, it can be difficult to find people that aren’t sheltered. I value being around and discovering people of different backgrounds and lives than mine, and attempting to understand them. So, as you can imagine, my entire outlook on Greek Life based from movie stereotypes and general gossip was that it was exclusive, biased towards appearance, and overrated.

At least, until I found a home in my organization.

Now, I love being in my sorority, and being a sister of the Panhellenic Council. At times, you’ll need to weigh in the pros and cons when purchasing “extra stuff”, that others can generally afford, such as t-shirts, dues, and et cetera, especially when you are someone of low income.

When you are of lower income, generally all the things you do including the extra and essential, come out of your pocket alone. If you are blessed enough to have a slight support system in other sources than family, you are lucky. Usually, the money you get comes from one thing, and one thing only — your own pocket, and your own hard work.

Although it isn’t completely unobtainable for someone to be in a sorority with shortcomings in income, (me being direct proof), it means that you need to learn how to balance your own checkbook, as to say. If you don’t have the money for it, then tough luck, because only a certain amount of scholarships are available, and although there are things such as payment plans, you really are on your own. I’m stating the blatant truth, because this is how it is, and it sucks.

The thing that seems to be the pros for me is a connection of overarching reasons:

1. You have a support system at college.

For me, I have now moved three hours away from my hometown. Although that isn’t as far as some, it is far when you have no apt transportation to get from place to place other than hitching rides to and fro college.

2. You feel as if you’re part of something bigger than yourself.

I’m not bullshitting here — there really is a sense of belonging somewhere where you are valued and cared for as an individual. Also, for someone who has four brothers and no sisters, it’s wonderful to have an organization where you have sisters, and a female support system through a women’s organization.

3. If you have found the right fit for you based on school and organization, then stay.

If I didn’t stay in my organization no matter the issues I’ve had with finances, I wouldn’t have made so many wonderful friends, or came out of a dark spot of my life. My wonderful soul of a roommate and I met through being in the same pledge class, and I love her to death. So, overall, if you find that fit, stay there.

Liz

Denison '21

Just an average girl, living in an average world, with an above average love for love.