This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Denison chapter.

Most people would agree that the world is a crazy place to live in right now. Black lives matter, the coronavirus, and the election, among other things, are on a lot of people’s minds. These are important things that we should be thinking and learning about. But when it comes time for self care, it’s important to remember that there are so many things that cannot be taken away from you and are right there to comfort you, wherever you are. Here are some I’ve come up with:

• Watching your favorite childhood show: Sometimes sitting on the couch with a bowl of ice cream and Drake and Josh on the TV makes everything feel alright again.

• Enjoying your comfort food/drink: I love chocolate milk, mac and cheese, or a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

• Watching the sunset: Invite someone to go with you or take yourself on a date to watch the sunset. 

• Enjoying the sunshine (or curling up under a blanket while it thunderstorms): the sunshine can feel so good, but if your weather isn’t cooperating, curl up with a good book.

• Talking to a long time friend on the phone: Call a friend from your childhood and reminisce on old times.

• Driving nowhere in particular: go on a drive to nowhere and pick up a drive-through milkshake along the way!

• Exercising: I like to do Just Dance videos on Youtube because they make me laugh and my endorphins poppin’!

• Baking: My sister and I loved baking chocolate chip banana bread during quarantine.

• Making a home cooked meal: home cooked meals in college go so far.

• Calling your family: I love calling my grandma (who I call Grandie!) and reminiscing on old times.

• Taking hot showers or baths: it can truly make you feel like a whole new person.

• Sending packages or letters: receiving and sending letters or packages…*chefs kiss*

• Looking at old photos: and sending it to those in the photo!

• Cuddling with your animals: and being reminded of how lucky you are to have a furry friend.

• Drinking hot chocolate or tea: sometimes a warm drink in your tummy goes a long way.

• Reading poetry: when you find poetry that speaks to you, you feel so much less alone.

• Walking in nature: this gets your endorphins going and grounds you.

• Watching meaningful movies: sometimes watching a movie that reminds you of the important things in life feels good.

• Planning a trip (just for fun): sometimes the best part of a trip is the planning!

• Making friendship bracelets: make a friendship bracelet and surprise a friend with it!

• Creating art: painting, drawing, dancing…whatever feels best to you.

• Reminding yourself that you deserve good things and there are people who care about you and love you: Enough said!

Hi! I'm Chloe and I'm a sophomore at Denison University in Ohio. I grew up in Austin, Texas, and I love playing tennis, petting dogs, drinking iced chai, and reading poetry. I am so excited about this opportunity to share my writing!