This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Denison chapter.

So we’re a good chunk of the way through the new year…How are those resolutions actually going? Every year millions across the world make up their minds and decide they’re going to do something new or improve on something in the new year, then usually drop it by the third week. This year, I “resolved” to skip out on solid resolutions and instead focus on finally committing to mindfully reaching my goals of self-hood that have been wandering around my brain for what feels like forever. I’ve got two main goals I plan to talk about in this article, focusing on two aspects of my life I thought would be fun to share!

Starting with my first goal, Personal Style!

My friends know me as a lover of the Dark Academia/Light Academia aesthetics. My style is a bit of a mix of the two, incorporating elements of both by weaponizing the large amounts of sweaters I’ve collected over the years. My goal is to curate my closet by cutting down on clothes I know I don’t and won’t wear while creating a closet that aesthetically meshes well together, instead of having lots of scattered pieces. I’ve found that creating cute and satisfying outfits that fit my style is much easier with more interchangeable pieces, such as a quality set of varied pants, button-downs, sweaters, and vests. 

Over Winter break I made some serious headway with these goals: I donated a large number of clothes that have been just sitting in my closet for years, and I began uploading my clothes to a closet organization app. That’s just a fun thing to help me stay organized and more conscious when shopping. By referring to what I already have, I can avoid purchasing clothes I won’t end up wearing with the rest of my closet. Now, the same thing can’t be said about accessories; I’m definitely a little obsessed with my earring collection. 

On social media, there’s this constant pressure to totally commit your lifestyle to a kind of aesthetic. In real life we start reflecting this, complimenting other people by how much they fit our Pinterest-perfect idea of a specific aesthetic. Although I love the style and many of the sensibilities associated with the Light and Dark Academia aesthetics, I think it’s pretty unrealistic and unhealthy to base your entire lifestyle around enjoying things to fit a certain look. So even though I might be shaping up my closet, I don’t want to shift my entire lifestyle to match. Well, except for maybe drinking hot coffee in candle-dimmed lighting while reading poetry.

Speaking of reading, my second goal: Rediscovering Reading!

Okay, maybe I cheated a bit, as this is definitely a more concrete “resolution.” I decided I want to read about 15 books this year. Throughout most of high school, I was in this massive reading rut where it felt like I couldn’t enjoy any book I picked up for fun. I’ve always loved fiction and fantasy books, but the transition from middle school to early high school left me lost. The sorts of imaginative and expansive worlds I enjoyed uncovering were overshadowed by overly repetitive, unimaginative, and immature storylines and characters. I found my fix in other media, usually TV shows, movies, and video games, which left little room in my free time for physical books. Senior year saw me finally pick up reading for fun again, and since then I’ve dove headfirst back into my old routine. 

I think it’s important to mention that my dream is to be an author, so when I pick books to read, it’s usually both with the intent to enjoy them, but also to find something inspiring about them I can learn from and apply to my own work. I’ve got about 10 books on my to-read list for the year so far, mixing together contemporary, classic, fiction, and poetry books I’m excited to explore. In no particular order, here’s the list!

1. Crying in H Mart, by Michelle Zauner. I completed this mouthwatering yet melancholic memoir in early January, making it the first off the list!
  2. Life on Mars, by Tacy K. Smith. I’m about halfway through this incredible Pullitzer-winning poetry book that has taken me on an emotional journey through space, family, and inspiration. I definitely recommend it!
  3. A Gathering of Shadows, by V.E. Schwab. I’m currently reading the second book in this adult fiction/fantasy series and can confidently say I’m enjoying it. It mixes very classic adventure storylines with subversive kicks and twists to keep you on your toes.
  4. Norwegian Wood, by Haruki Marukami. A complex contemporary story I’ve heard nothing but good things about so far, so while I don’t know much I’m ready to uncover more.
  5. Pride and Prejudice, by Jane Austen. I mean, you can’t really get more classic than this. The first time I read it I was so bored by it I had to use an audiobook. I think I was pretty ignorant the first round, so I’m giving the book another go with a more open mind.
  6. Madame Bovary, by Gustave Flaubert. As someone interested in the Romantic period of literature, reading something that is regarded as a criticism of it interests me. While I know it’s a more controversial story, I still want to tackle it.
  7. A Game of Thrones, by George R. R. Martin. This is probably the most ambitious book on this list, given the first chapter nearly made me fall asleep the last time I tried to read it. But I adore the show and the story George crafted, so I’m ready to read it in its original form.
  8. Swan Hammer: An Instructor’s Guide to Mirrors, by Maggie Graber. I picked up this relatively new poetry book for my birthday back in November. It seemed interesting, and the first few poems really struck me, leaving me interested in what else the book has to offer.
  9. Mrs. Dalloway, by Virginia Woolf. My uncle bought me this book a few years ago, so it’s been unread on my shelf for a while. I can’t really explain why I want to read the book, only that Virginia Woolf is an author I want to begin to explore.
  10. Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil, by John Berendt. With my interest in understanding the non-fiction novel, my connections to the South, and my dad’s high praise of the book, this book just seemed like a strong choice to read at some point in the year. 

To be fair, curating a style and making a book list can seem like standard resolutions, but by setting them as long-term goals they’ve made me genuinely excited to work towards feeling more myself with my style and feeling more engaged and inspired with my reading and writing. To anyone else struggling with yearly goals: Don’t think of them as “tasks” to complete by the end of the year. Instead, think of them as ways of improving your life, with the new year acting as a jumping-off point for that process!

Sofia is a Second-Year at Denison University and Chapter Co-Correspondant. She is a Creative Writing major from Mississippi interested in a career in publishing. She loves reading and watching fantasy and sci-fi, listening to indie pop, and baking. She's also the proud owner of a black cat named Lucky.